The realisation you're getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
And by contrast having been in servicing and repairs jobs, I don’t think I can realistically go till 65, having had to cart heavy tool boxes, toe or hydraulic jacks around warehouses, then go fetch barrels of oils etc, sometimes having to go into freezers at -24c to extract broken down forklifts, my shoulders are shot, one frozen, arthritis in one thumb joint, servicing I.c engined ones at the side of your van in snow,rain and hail, or those freezing frosty days, then to add insult to injury, they fit trackers on the vans and monitor excess idling so you can’t even run the engine to get warm, all marvellous ideas from someone sat in an office all day, it’s just unthinkable of keeping going to at least 67

Chief Broom

Veteran
I live in one of six council bungalows all the other residents being old and/or disabled. My neighbour cheerfully told me that " no one leaves here unless in a body bag" :ohmy: I shall keep cycling, eating well and keeping fit..... :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
phoned the doctor's today , 40 min on hold to try and get an appointment about my thumb/wrist pain i have had for 3 weeks only to be told that they would put me on the list to speak to the physio .Waste of time that was !
Might as well try to see if i can get in at the works health centre , i have had it strapped up last week which seems to help but it doesnt seem to be getting better .I dropped my shaver this morning as it was painful to hold after a while and im struggling with tasks that involve gripping with the thumb .

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I remember when we got our phone installed in the mid 70s. My mum made me run to the nearest payphone with 2p so she could hear it ring. We'd waited 3 months for it to be installed and it came in a beige brown, not the avocado green she'd ordered.

ETA - a few years later we upgraded to a trimphone. Looked great but we had to sit it on a tin tray so we could hear it.

We had a phone that had the same ring as that of phones on TV series. Funny watching parents go answer phone when it was on TV. Phone got replaced only for TV shows to seemingly move to the same model.

presta

Guru
Peering out of the window at the weather and thinking "It's difficult to know what to wear", like my grandma used to.
Funny you should say that, I was on my way to A&E. I had the choice of getting a taxi or waiting several hours for an ambulance.
Or spend £99-£450 on a private ambulance.
We also live in a street mainly of bungalows (we live in one of the few houses) and we are the "old" neighbours having lived in the street longer than all but one neighbour.
Having moved here in April 1960, I'm the longest surviving resident in this street. A guy who used to live in the bungalow opposite lived there when it stood alone at the end of a rough unmade track in the middle of open fields. It's called Millview, but there hasn't been a view of the mill unobscured by houses since before I arrived (and no mill to view since 1974).

This is how I remember the mill when we fished for tiddlers in the millpond:
1712581210878.jpeg

presta

Guru
phoned the doctor's today , 40 min on hold to try and get an appointment about my thumb/wrist pain i have had for 3 weeks only to be told that they would put me on the list to speak to the physio .Waste of time that was !

Only 3 weeks? I've just had 30 mins on hold to speak to neurology appointments. They told me I'd have to wait 9 months until I pointed out that I was already referred to neuro 3 years ago, and that this was just the ophthalmologist bouncing me back to neurology again, then they gave me one for next week.

So that just leaves the neuro-ophthalmology appointment that I was told I needed months ago, but that still hasn't materialised.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Only 3 weeks? I've just had 30 mins on hold to speak to neurology appointments. They told me I'd have to wait 9 months until I pointed out that I was already referred to neuro 3 years ago, and that this was just the ophthalmologist bouncing me back to neurology again, then they gave me one for next week.

So that just leaves the neuro-ophthalmology appointment that I was told I needed months ago, but that still hasn't materialised.

This is just for a doctor phone back appointment I have been waiting for referral to the rheumatology department since last August too.
I actually said I have had pain for 3 weeks but I was hoping it would get better with over the counter meds and a splint

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
I bought this bike new. Put a ton of miles on it over a bunch of years and finally popped the engine. After rebuilding the engine it was tossed into the garage to put back on the road “sometime”. ( kids, mortgage, other bikes, blah, blah, blah… )

After reasoning that traffic was far faster than its old drum brakes could handle and that parts just don’t exist on this side of the planet I sold it yesterday… it’s 47 years old.

IMG_0235.jpeg

DRM

Guru
I bought this bike new. Put a ton of miles on it over a bunch of years and finally popped the engine. After rebuilding the engine it was tossed into the garage to put back on the road “sometime”. ( kids, mortgage, other bikes, blah, blah, blah… )

After reasoning that traffic was far faster than its old drum brakes could handle and that parts just don’t exist on this side of the planet I sold it yesterday… it’s 47 years old.

View attachment 727051

Blimey a Jawa CZ, iirc from cold war era Czechoslovakia, as it was then, my mates dad got one to commute on, probably of similar vintage

Top Bottom