The responsibilities of a taxi driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lanzecki

Über Member
Bump it up to passenger throws something at cyclist and does the response change?

Hang on, let's not start the what if's :smile: A drunk passenger was being a silly arse. Nothing more.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Even though Matthew has every right to want to be a cycling vigilante, he really needs to try to enjoy his cycling rather then picking out every slight indiscretion from drivers or other road users. He himself has said that he has had over 1500 incidents since March 2012 That is ridiculous and can't be healthy for him. I would be as bold to say that no one else on this forum would have had that many over their lifetime of cycling.
That may have been an error on my part. Its actually 1500 since June 2011.

Hip Priest

Veteran
In this example it seems clear to me that the earlier odd behaviour of the taxi suggests a worrying possibility of collusion between driver and passenger. That is in itself quite disturbing and to my mind makes Matthew's question entirely reasonable.

That's one perspective. Another is that the taxi driver may have been distracted by the drunken behaviour of his passenger. He may have been saying 'behave yourself or get out' and was slow away from the lights as a result.

Whatever the whys and wherefores, my message to my fellow cyclists would be to shrug off these minor incidents and not spend valuable time reporting and over-analysing them.

Matt had a brief bad experience with a drunken passenger in a taxi. Taxi drivers have bad experiences with drunken passengers on an almost daily basis.

Bump it up to passenger throws something at cyclist and does the response change?

I had kids throw grapes out of a minibus window on my commute once. I got a grape stuck in my chainring. I pushed it with my finger and it came out.

I think learning that an argument just isn't worth it is something that comes with age; Matthew will get better as he gets older and we all, myself especially, need to be more patient with him.

campbellab

Hang on, let's not start the what if's :smile: A drunk passenger was being a silly arse. Nothing more.

The thread title is the responsibilities of taxi drivers for their passengers. In the described incident most would shrug it off (but we shouldn't have to endure it in the first place). If you move it up just a small notch the actions and potential consequences become a lot more serious. I've seen plenty of drunk people throw stuff at others.

Do taxi companies keep a log of all journeys so you can track down the potential abode of an offender?

I think taxi drivers probably in a bit of a tight spot with drunken passengers - confront them/refuse carriage and potentially get taxi damaged/assaulted and trying to get them out of the taxi could be a nightmare. I wonder how many taxi drivers have just driven to the local police station when they've had trouble?

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Okay, things have now become a lot clearer. This afternoon the taxi driver has been harrassing me (not an overstatement).

I took primary over a bridge which I have had many close passes on because I didnt take it, and the taxi came speeding behind me, and nearly rear ended me. Luckily he just swerved and braked hard.
He then followed me through a few sets of lights, and eventually pulled up along side me. To my amazement, the passenger was filming me and I heard the driver say something (couldnt tell what).
He then continued to follow me through a few more sets of lights and then pulled up alongside me on the drivers side, I heard him say "I can follow you around everywhere you know". I just ignored it and continued cycling. He continued to follow me.

I then stopped at the next set of lights in the ASL, he stopped in it besides me. He then said "I've got everything on camera now aswell", to which I replied "I cannot see what I have done wrong". He then said "You were cycling in the middle of the road", I calmly replied "Well I am allowed to". He then drove off and I headed to the local police station to see if anyone was around. I spoke to a woman and explained what had happened and what happened yesterday. She understood my concern and directed me to call 101 and if he confronted me again today, to call 999 (I got home safely).

I am now going to the police with this because the guy is going to end up running me off the road soon. I am not happy with his behaviour.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Very strange behaviour. I'll hold my hands up and accept that other posters were right about the driver & passenger being in cahoots.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Actually, I dont know whether or not to report it to the police or just the taxi firm. What would the police really do? Have a word. I cannot see anything coming of reporting it.

I will ring the taxi firm tomorrow though and possibly the council.

markharry66

Über Member
firstly take your cam film them back. As they are filming you have a right to know why you are being filmed. In terms of what someone else has said on this thread although you may or may not have been agressive in the past. As a road user you have a right to go about your business in a safe manner without being harassed. Take the licence plate number film it and stick it on youtube then put it through a website called index kings. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom