The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Is it a conservation area? Looks very nice and peaceful.

Oh yes it is a conservation area and also has an Article 4 direction on it. This means we cannot change anything external unless it replicates the original. If you look at the image of our row you will see all the windows are identical but they are all new. £1000 - £1200 per window as they each have to be hand made to fit. The windows were designed so the entire frame could be lifted out leaving a large hole. To get beds, furniture, mattresses etc. upstairs the only way is to take the window out, get two ladders and three men. One with a rope inside the house and two to guide the furniture up the ladders!!!!!"

classic33

Leg End Member
We live in a Lancashire mill village. There are 33 original cottages, a primary school, reading room, chapel, cricket club, bowling green and the mill owners enormous house. The village is on the banks of the Leeds Liverpool canal. Around the village there has been development meaning there are another 45 more modern properties, fortunately these don't impinge on us. The village was originally built by the Parke family to entice local workers to their paper mill which manufactured very high quality paper and bank note paper. Most of this has now been knocked down to make way for a development, 25 years ago, of new houses and what remains is used by various companies, mainly car related. It,s currently scheduled for housing development.

The mill owners were Methodist so there is no pub. Everyone went to chapel twice on Sunday. Up to the mid 60s there was a team employed to maintain the outside of the houses, everything was painted the same colour etc. lovely front gardens. The school and chapel were built to benefit and "educate" the workforce. There is/was a reading room which was effectively a small library again for the villagers. The upper floor of this building had a fully sprung floor for dancing. Kathleen Ferrier often performed there - she was born a few miles away.

I do appreciate how lucky I am, though we didn't know this 38 years ago when we arrived!!
A bit like Saltaire then, in some ways.

D

Deleted member 1258

Not bothered dunking it in water?
I don't bother trying to patch tubes any more, I just throw them now. I dont bother with the more expensive brands nowadays, just buy the cheap lifeline ones from Wiggle.

I spent half-three quarters of an hour with it in the sink and couldn't find anything, strange, very strange, it was fine on Saturday's ride but soggy this morning, I pumped it up and it was alright to the cafe, but on the way back it was going softer the closer I got to home and by the time I got close to Baginton it needed a top up, that was when I discovered that my pump had packed up again, I fixed it last time.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Morning. 10k run done and now enjoying my Weetabix. Was a bit murky earlier but the sun is out now.

Top Bottom