The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
There's been a lot on Facebook about it. After e event there were a lot of upset locals who weren't happy with the event or the way it was run.

I can actually understand their anger due to the amount of time the roads are closed for, and hence the new route as opposed to the route the previous year which also caused a lot of anger.
I wonder how much opposition there is towards Ride London which has had 7 editions now and always follows pretty much the same route??

Drago

Legendary Member
I was one of the volunteers on that. Must have been awful having road closures for 4 hours and 45 minutes. It must've been like living in 1930s Germany for the poor souls.

And only 5 month's notice before hand? What a pith take! That's no notice at all! How could they be expected to live with such unreasonable conditions? How could they plan ahead with it being dropped on them so suddenly. No wonder some of the locals took it upon themselves to ignore the closures and run over marshals.

The moaners need to MTFU and have a reality check. One guy was a vet trying to get to a customer's horse that needed emergency attention. He argued, and argued, and argued...and it was pointed out to him that he'd now spent more time arguing than it would have taken him to drive the 3/4 mile diversion...and still he argued. The moaners are a bunch of self entitled prats, the sort would rather die complaining that take minimal effort to save themselves. They're car centric idiots who would rather see their houses washed away by rising sea levels than walk half a mile for a paper and a pint of milk.

It was less than one morning in a whole year. Ample notice was given and alternative routes publicised months in advance, yet they acted so surprised when it happened. Bunch of chumps the lot of them.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I was one of the volunteers on that. Must have been awful having road closures for 4 hours and 45 minutes. It must've been like living in 1930s Germany for the poor souls.

And only 5 month's notice before hand? What a pith take! That's no notice at all! How could they be expected to live with such unreasonable conditions? How could they plan ahead with it being dropped on them so suddenly. No wonder some of the locals took it upon themselves to ignore the closures and run over marshals.

The moaners need to MTFU and have a reality check. One guy was a vet trying to get to a customer's horse that needed emergency attention. He argued, and argued, and argued...and it was pointed out to him that he'd now spent more time arguing than it would have taken him to drive the 3/4 mile diversion...and still he argued. The moaners are a bunch of self entitled prats, the sort would rather die complaining that take minimal effort to save themselves. They're car centric idiots who would rather see their houses washed away by rising sea levels than walk half a mile for a paper and a pint of milk.

It was less than one morning in a whole year. Ample notice was given and alternative routes publicised months in advance, yet they acted so surprised when it happened. Bunch of chumps the lot of them.

:laugh:.

We have really drivers coming through here, and the TOB as well. I don't think anyone complains about it. It's good for business to be honest and it's a time for pubs and hotels to make some money.

We have a comedy festival that takes place in Mach every year as well. A whole bank holiday weekend Mach is full to overflowing with people from all over the UK. Tents, caravans, etc.

It is a great opportunity for people here.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning chaps and chapesses.
Not a nice start to the day. Strong gusting wind (I blame the stir fry we had last night) and drizzle.
Golf suit is dried out from yesterday. Do I chance it today or give it a miss?? I will have my shower then decide.
Whatever you are planning, have a good day.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
:hello: it's blowing a gale and pouring with rain. A bunch of my cycle buddies have planned a ride for today as it's going to be a better day than Friday. Hmmmmm.......best get emergency supplies in :eek:

I've been awake too long. Had a brew so now I'll try to doze till 8.30ish. Out to meet friends in Hebden Bridge** today so need to leave at 10.15.

@classic33 I have passport and visa ready.

Top Bottom