The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have risen!

Traditional saturday morning lay in with the highly pleasant and much younger Mrs D. Muttley walked. Just catching my breath.

I should have been born in Shetland, as that's where my Dad was working as an engineer in the oil industry. However, when my Grandad was taken I'll we flew down to kent to visit him just outside Ramsgate, and being the awkward sod I am i popped into the world early. So by virtue of being born on the Isle of Thanet I'm a man of kent, but technically scottish by heritage and upbringing. It's all a bit confusing. On the other side I'm a Breton-Celt fro the SW of England and France. But it's ok, as I self identify as a christmas islander.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Where were you born??
Which place/places have you lived for lengthy periods??
What took you to were you are now?
Born in Sparkhill, Birmingham.
Moved to Hall Green, Birmingham in 1962.
Left home in 1977 to live with my girlfriend, later my wife, and moved to Stourbridge for 6 years.
Moved to several places around North Worcestershire over the next 22 years - Feckenham, Redditch, Astwood Bank.
Moved to North Devon in 2005 as a result of a career posting.
Retired in 2014.
Next year, I will have lived in this house longer than anywhere else in my life.
I would not rule out a move to rural Cornwall in the future.

screenman

Legendary Member
Born in Sparkhill, Birmingham.
Moved to Hall Green, Birmingham in 1962.
Left home in 1977 to live with my girlfriend, later my wife, and moved to Stourbridge for 6 years.
Moved to several places around North Worcestershire over the next 22 years.
Moved to North Devon in 2005 as a result of a career posting.
Retired in 2014.
Next year, I will have lived in this house longer than anywhere else in my life.
I would not rule out a move to rural Cornwall in the future.

Do you know Mr Khan?

Dave7

Legendary Member
I was born in Stepney, and lived in various places in the East end of London. Moved out to North London when I was 24, shacked up with the lovely Mrs GM, got married 5 years later. Been in current house for nearly 40 years, we might downsize one day.
So you were a proper 'geezer' then^_^.
I realise "London" covers a BIG area but from where you live is it easy to pick up nice cycling routes ?
We keep threatening to downsize but the problem is that we both love this house

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Do you know Mr Khan?

Doesn't everyone?

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am also in the downsizing group, even now I shamefully admit we only use about half of this house.
We have a large ex RAF officers house. Ours is the smallest design of perhaps 30 similar houses but even so eg our lounge is 18' x 15' . Then, some 20ish years ago we built a full self contained granny flat on for the M.i.L to live. Sadly she didn't last very long afterwards.
But at the moment, rather than move we pay a cleaner one day a week and a gardener every 2 weeks.

Top Bottom