The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robgul

Legendary Member
I got back just after two, with 56 miles on if you believe the cycle computer, or 54.4 miles if you believe the GPS on the phone, theres normally a slight discrepancy between the two but not normally that much, the computer starts as soon as the bike moves, I switch on and off the GPS a short distance from the house. It was also a very slow ride, I took it easy on the way out as it was frosty, but then on the way back it seemed to be windy and the ride was slow and hard. on the way out I used the farm road between Harbury and Chesterton, on the section going past the church I found myself riding among free roaming sheep, no fences along there just cattle grids. My first ride for about 10 days so it was great to get out and I had a very enjoyable morning out riding my bike, but the low average speed was a disappointment.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/43820433
Was the gate open at the bottom of the lane from Harbury, just before the church? Last couple of times I've been that we've had to climb over it. And rather you than me on a fixed up the hill past The Antelope in Lighthorne!

Rob

D

Deleted member 1258

Was the gate open at the bottom of the lane from Harbury, just before the church? Last couple of times I've been that we've had to climb over it. And rather you than me on a fixed up the hill past The Antelope in Lighthorne!

Rob

The main gate was closed, it usually is at the weekend, I had to use the small pedestrian gate next to it, it was a bit interesting, the area in front of the gate was waterlogged and they had put a plank down to save people getting their feet wet, so I was balancing on the plank, holding the gate open, its spring loaded, and lifting the bike through.

classic33

Leg End Member
Night Johnboy.
Night GranMa

You made it home then?

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm struggling to get details but suspect one went down and the rest couldn't stop. I'd already decided not to ride till 10.00 as the forecast is 0C at 05.00 - experience tells me it will freeze at dawn.

I've cancelled all the official rides and asked people to stay safe.

I would think thats what has happened, it usually does if the group is in close formation. I went down on ice a few years ago and was lucky in that the group was spread out, I only took down the guy next to me, no damage just some lumps and bumps, I remember laying on the ground wondering what the noise was, it was the loose change from the back pocket of the other fella bouncing down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Morning. :hello:
It's bang on freezing here again and the roads and pavements are all white and sparkly. Going to be another decent but cold and breezy day.
Mornin' all.
Sharp and still here too. @PaulSB 's club ride yesterday still very fresh in the mind so will wait a while before I turn a wheel today. In fact nearly came a cropper just jogging down the car park at Clumber parkrun yesterday. Couldn't see any ice at all but it almost put paid to my run before it started.

Top Bottom