The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good day. Sun is doing sun stuff. It's deliciously cool and fresh this morning. I suspect flags will be cracking by lunchtime.

Watched Billy Elliot again last night. A lovely film. This meant it was 12.30am before we got to bed. Woke at 06.45, went downstairs and discovered it was really 05.45!! 😩

Checked my tubeless tyres on Saturday and texted picture of the "damaged" area to LBS. Text came back "Old school would superglue that." Then a bit later "Are those the original tyres from when we supplied? Have you considered you might have worn them out?"

I inspected again. Yep on even closer inspection tyres are worn, badly. When I get to the LBS the comment will be "Are you taking the piss?" I always get this when I've ridden something like pass, tyres etc. well beyond their useable life!!!! 😂

My LBS are brilliant. I've been going for 25+ years. They are pulled out in every direction, no bikes left to sell, week's wait for servicing, etc. They have the tyres and told me to be there at 09.00 this morning. Can't ask for more. Loyalty always repays you. These are tubeless tyres, pointless me even starting the job.

ALDI is across the road so it's two birds and one stone.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Mornin' all.
I think this sleeplessness thing must be catching. Me too.
Good morning. Another rubbish nights sleep for me as well.

:cuppa::cuppa: is needed. Stay safe folks. :hello:
Morning. Another almost sleepless night. Maybe when it cools down later in the week it might be easier to at least get a few hours.

Looking forward to my early walk while it's cool.
Morning all fellow members. There seems to be a common theme for a sleepless night.
Me too.
Another sunny morning so out early with the dog , and then out on the bike for a few miles before it gets too warm.

D

Deleted member 1258

Morning all fellow members. There seems to be a common theme for a sleepless night.
Me too.
Another sunny morning so out early with the dog , and then out on the bike for a few miles before it gets too warm.

I had a decent night, got up for a P about one then slept till half five, still feel tired though, I'm not sure why.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good morning fellow retirees,

Took me the best part of yesterday to recover from overindulgence in Mr Henry Westons marvellous vintage cider🙄

I have had a couple of days off the turbo but new month, new journey so today I'll leap back on and start heading back down towards Land's End.
Have a lovely peaceful day folks 🏃‍♂️🚲🚶‍♂️🌞

monkers

Veteran
Good morning everybody... a groggy start this morning, after staying up 'til nigh three of the clock.

The pizza that my friend had made was about the best I'd ever eaten, so that was something of a treat. But then as other friends have remarked at times, 'I hope you kiss better than you cook Monkers'. The joke had become so longstanding that a sign for the kitchen door to such effect was commissioned and delivered as a birthday present. I still have it somewhere I'm sure.

Once I get an essential insect in my quaint and charming headwear, I can't put something down. Last night that 'thing' was the inadequacy of my front changer. I want to swap it for something better, so I got reading compatibility tables etc.

That's when I found the problem - yes Cube have messed up, according to Shimano's own on-line guff, the front changer is incompatible with the front shifter, while the front shifter is incompatible with every Shimano series front changer but one, which is discontinued and no longer available - exceptional!

Eventually I found a new old stock item and I've ordered it, so just maybe I will solve the riddle of the Cube. I may not be able to make a decent pizza - in fact I'd never bother to try, and how they mock me, but if something mechanical or electrical needs fixing, they form a disorderly queue. ;)

I'm a little bit achey this morning, but I'm sure to get out there at some point today.

Have a great day then all. Please stay safe from the plague zombies. xx

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
These are tubeless tyres, pointless me even starting the job.
I have had some trying to convince me of the merits of tubeless, but I don't fancy the faff. I shouldn't tempt fate but it's been a couple of years since my last deflation and that was my fault as a lorry must have spilled some sharp, flinty stones on the road and I wasn't paying attention and must have hit a sharp one. Other than that, 4000 miles on a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pros........highly recommended. I have had good luck with them, Schwalbe Ones and the Specialized Turbo Pros that came installed on my Ruby.

monkers

Veteran
I have had some trying to convince me of the merits of tubeless, but I don't fancy the faff. I shouldn't tempt fate but it's been a couple of years since my last deflation and that was my fault as a lorry must have spilled some sharp, flinty stones on the road and I wasn't paying attention and must have hit a sharp one. Other than that, 4000 miles on a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pros........highly recommended. I have had good luck with them, Schwalbe Ones and the Specialized Turbo Pros that came installed on my Ruby.

I feel the same, but I wouldn't take too much convincing to go back to tubs and sprints.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Mo
Welshie
Ian
PaulSB
Sorry to say but once again I slept like a log.
Could it be that I am such a clean living, god fearing individual??
I woke at 0600 (as is the norm) and I recall thinking "sod this for a game of soldiers" and crawled back into bed.
As previously reported, yesterdays BBQ was a great success**.... .. sad that we couldn't hug the family but we really do keep the distance.
**Grandson (22) and grandaughter (17) were like little kids-having a great time soaking each other with the hose pipe. Just before they left grandson said "its been like being on holiday"..... can't put a price on those words.

Top Bottom