The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Captain Sensible

Just had an email from the council.

They've declared a " Major incident and multi agency emergency"

Here's part of the message, sorry if it is a bit long.

"A major incident has been declared after thousands of people defied advice to stay away and descended on BCP Council beaches on the hottest day of the year so far.

A multi-agency emergency response has now been activated to co-ordinate resources across the area to tackle the issues.

Council Leader Vikki Slade said: “We are absolutely appalled at the scenes witnessed on our beaches, particularly at Bournemouth and Sandbanks, in the last 24-48 hours. The irresponsible behaviour and actions of so many people is just shocking and our services are stretched to the absolute hilt trying to keep everyone safe. We have had no choice now but to declare a major incident and initiate an emergency response.”

Services were left completely overstretched as visitors arrived in large volumes resulting in widespread problems of illegal parking, excessive waste, anti-social behaviour, gridlock on roads and prohibited overnight camping.

BCP Council issued 558 parking enforcement fines – the highest on record – and responded to many reports of cars parking and causing an obstruction.

Roads in and out of the area were heavily congested into the early hours.

Crews received widespread abuse and intimidation as they attempted to empty overflowing bins on the seafront. In the stretch between just the piers, eight tonnes of waste was collected yesterday on the second collection run of the day. This morning, a further 33 tons of waste was removed along the full stretch of coastline.

There were also a number of incidents reported which involved excessive alcohol and fights.

Additional police patrols have now been brought in, security put in place to protect refuse crews and additional parking enforcement implemented to support the management of car parks and ticketing.

Signage urging people that the conurbation is full are now in use, including on approach roads.

Overnight campers were evicted and further patrols by seafront ranger staff will be put in place.

Public health messaging has gone out to ensure people stay hydrated especially if stuck in long traffic queues"

My mind is well and truly boggled, what is the matter with people 🙄

“The British public displaying their common sense” , now where have we heard that?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Just had an email from the council.

They've declared a " Major incident and multi agency emergency"

Here's part of the message, sorry if it is a bit long.

"A major incident has been declared after thousands of people defied advice to stay away and descended on BCP Council beaches on the hottest day of the year so far.

A multi-agency emergency response has now been activated to co-ordinate resources across the area to tackle the issues.

Council Leader Vikki Slade said: “We are absolutely appalled at the scenes witnessed on our beaches, particularly at Bournemouth and Sandbanks, in the last 24-48 hours. The irresponsible behaviour and actions of so many people is just shocking and our services are stretched to the absolute hilt trying to keep everyone safe. We have had no choice now but to declare a major incident and initiate an emergency response.”

Services were left completely overstretched as visitors arrived in large volumes resulting in widespread problems of illegal parking, excessive waste, anti-social behaviour, gridlock on roads and prohibited overnight camping.

BCP Council issued 558 parking enforcement fines – the highest on record – and responded to many reports of cars parking and causing an obstruction.

Roads in and out of the area were heavily congested into the early hours.

Crews received widespread abuse and intimidation as they attempted to empty overflowing bins on the seafront. In the stretch between just the piers, eight tonnes of waste was collected yesterday on the second collection run of the day. This morning, a further 33 tons of waste was removed along the full stretch of coastline.

There were also a number of incidents reported which involved excessive alcohol and fights.

Additional police patrols have now been brought in, security put in place to protect refuse crews and additional parking enforcement implemented to support the management of car parks and ticketing.

Signage urging people that the conurbation is full are now in use, including on approach roads.

Overnight campers were evicted and further patrols by seafront ranger staff will be put in place.

Public health messaging has gone out to ensure people stay hydrated especially if stuck in long traffic queues"

My mind is well and truly boggled, what is the matter with people 🙄
Just been reading that :angry: soon be back to lockdown in the south again and more deaths

D

Deleted member 1258

Certainly was. I don’t think I have ever drunk a full bottle of rehydration liquid In such a short distance

I just take water, the problem is that the cafe's are shut so there's limited opportunities to top up a water bottle.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Hi all - first time poster!

I've been lurking for a while and have been cycling for about six weeks. Starting to get into a groove.

Took my pension last year (56) and now only do a few days consultancy work (about 20 a year!)

How do you while away those lazy days?

- Some days are better than others. The lockdown was a pain as I had loads of plans that we had to put on hold. I'm into photography and now cycling. However, part of the retirement plan was that we downsized so now I've got loads of DIY to do.

How do you cope financially?

- We will have to be careful but will cope. Major capital expenses are a killer.

When did you retire? - Last year at 56.

Is retirement what you expected?

- The winter was awful and I did find it hard to get through. As I said earlier lots of plans that Covid scuppered. I'm treating retirement as a long term plan. Potentially retired for a long term so I can change my plans as I go along.
- Finding fellow retirees with similar hobbies has been hander than I thought.

How long did you take to adjust? - About 20 minutes. Seriously the thought of going back into full time employment gives me the "fear"
Welcome to the doss house. :welcome:
If you look back over the thread, most of your questions have already been answered.;)

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
It's gorn black as yer 'at out there and looking very thundery.
Sounds like there's a mass exodus from the beach,

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi all - first time poster!

I've been lurking for a while and have been cycling for about six weeks. Starting to get into a groove.

Took my pension last year (56) and now only do a few days consultancy work (about 20 a year!)

How do you while away those lazy days?

- Some days are better than others. The lockdown was a pain as I had loads of plans that we had to put on hold. I'm into photography and now cycling. However, part of the retirement plan was that we downsized so now I've got loads of DIY to do.

How do you cope financially?

- We will have to be careful but will cope. Major capital expenses are a killer.

When did you retire? - Last year at 56.

Is retirement what you expected?

- The winter was awful and I did find it hard to get through. As I said earlier lots of plans that Covid scuppered. I'm treating retirement as a long term plan. Potentially retired for a long term so I can change my plans as I go along.
- Finding fellow retirees with similar hobbies has been hander than I thought.

How long did you take to adjust? - About 20 minutes. Seriously the thought of going back into full time employment gives me the "fear"
Welcome @El_Catrine.
Most have retired early, not all, myself included, but I had a year in which I knew I was going to pack it in. 44 years on the railways in my case, aged 62. The finances looked good, no debts, kids grown up and gone.
I, from the start have a focus to each day, also have various hobbies and interests. Get out on your bike as much as you can. Stay away from daytime telly.

D

Deleted member 1258

That's one thing that has never tempted me, apart from sporting stuff like the Olympics, Wimbledon and Tour de France. Even then, if the weather is nice, I am inclined not to bother.

My Good Lady has the day time telly on constantly, I can hear it in the back ground all the time I'm in, I have no interest in it, if I want to listen to music I have to use headphones.

Top Bottom