The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Walkies! I'll be back :laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I WAS trying to sleep but all this jabbering woke me up.....what is wrong with you people^_^.
We also have a strange yellow shiny thing in the sky and no rain forcast.....how pleasant is that ?
I didn't get to Aldi yesterday, it was pouring down and tbh I just wasn't in the mood. However I will be there for 0745 this morning and hopefully there will be some decent bedding plants left.
Thanks for the heads up PaulSB......good to know where they come from.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Morning all, great to see that shade of grey has gone when I opened the blinds. Coffee, walk and a cycle later in the day.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Morning all, wet and grey again, Pam is up and the vacuum is on full volume, she has a hair appointment at 12.30 so obviously had to be up and ready in time to get there.

Mrs @BoldonLad had her first hairdressing appointment on Wednesday 15:00. I made absolutely sure she got there on time, the penalty for allowing/causing her to miss that appointment does not bare thinking about.

She returned in high spirits, hair done, and, updated on the last 3-4 months gossip from her hair-dresser. I did get an update, but, the only bit I recall is, he has a new partner, a woman, this time. Well variety is the spice of life, they say.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Dave7 - I answered your post about bedding plants in DIY. I didn't want to rattle on but thought this might interest you and perhaps other gardeners in here.

The plants I listed are the traditional bedding plants and the core volume of every bedding plant grower's range. At the right time of year you will find them everywhere, shortages this year are a direct result of Covid-19 which hit just as growers reached peak production levels.

There are literally hundreds of other items we used to grow all of which were intended to increase sales by widening the range and extending the season. The current Aldi offering is a classic crop to extend the season. Offer exactly the same product as one offered in May but put 3-4 plants in a big pot so making it appear to be a different product. Nothing wrong with this and a very wide range of plants are grown this way for July sales.

The other major crop you will come across is termed Basket & Patio plants usually offered in 9cm, sometimes 10cm, pots. These are usually cutting raised items, bedding plants are seed raised, intended for use in hanging baskets, window boxes, patio planters etc.

If you want quality at affordable prices B&Q, Aldi, Tesco, Sainsbury and most major multiples are sourcing stock from the very best UK growers. I know who they are and I've supplied B&Q. It is though important to buy stock within 48 hours of it arriving in store. The store staff lack knowledge and interest to care for the product, customers scrabble through making their choice etc. It's easy with ALDI because it will be advertised in advance and every store will stock the product on the day, this isn't true for other multiples. I would be wary of purchasing from B&M, Home Bargains and Homebase.

I think you are within easy reach of Bents. If you want to use an independent garden centre Bents is a good choice but in their case you will pay through the nose, probably till it bleeds. This isn't true of all independent GCs and there are many very good ones.

Hilltop GC, Shilton near Coventry is one.......just thought I'd chuck that in for one of our number. The brothers who run this GC are top drawer and really care about what the do.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Morning all fellow wheezers.
Dog walking first off, then I'm cooking the full English brekkie .
MrsP is off to The other side of Swindon to see her best mate today, she has been suffering a bit through lockdown, furloughed with the probability of redundancy in October. She is not in a good place at the moment. So MrsP is going for the weekend to cheer her up.
So, it's me, the dog and the cats for a few days.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So that's bedding plants dealt with :laugh:.

I was awake at 4.00 😢 Hope everyone is well and enjoying some decent weather. We have bright sunshine and some cloud. I suspect occasional showers are on the agenda.

Today is a walking day.........which means it must be Friday! 😀 I shall prepare picnic etc. shortly. We meet our walking buddies outside our back gate at 10.00. Mrs P will appear downstairs at 9.30ish.

Zoom quiz tonight.........we are in a virtual team with our walking buddies. It's crazy, they live next door but one and we do this over the web. :wacko::eek:

monkers

Veteran
Good morning all. Sorry carcass dragged from its resting place and a delicious breakfast featuring Frank Cooper's and Yorkyshire tea is underway.

It's looking like an excellent day for a bimble :bicycle:- feeling excited. 💚

Looks like there was activity here after my bedtime last night - I'll try to catch up later.

Hope the head is not too delicate this morning @Drago - sounds like you had a good session last night. :laugh:

Top Bottom