The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Morning all :hello:
Yay! It's Fish Friday! :wahhey:

Woke at 8am after a solid nights sleep. I was told that it's only possible if you have a clear conscience. :whistle:
Weather's picked up here in Lorna Doone valley and the forecast is looking good for the next week.
We're here for another couple of nights then moving on to a site near Frome for a week.
Happy days. ^_^

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Dave7 - I answered your post about bedding plants in DIY. I didn't want to rattle on but thought this might interest you and perhaps other gardeners in here.

The plants I listed are the traditional bedding plants and the core volume of every bedding plant grower's range. At the right time of year you will find them everywhere, shortages this year are a direct result of Covid-19 which hit just as growers reached peak production levels.

There are literally hundreds of other items we used to grow all of which were intended to increase sales by widening the range and extending the season. The current Aldi offering is a classic crop to extend the season. Offer exactly the same product as one offered in May but put 3-4 plants in a big pot so making it appear to be a different product. Nothing wrong with this and a very wide range of plants are grown this way for July sales.

The other major crop you will come across is termed Basket & Patio plants usually offered in 9cm, sometimes 10cm, pots. These are usually cutting raised items, bedding plants are seed raised, intended for use in hanging baskets, window boxes, patio planters etc.

If you want quality at affordable prices B&Q, Aldi, Tesco, Sainsbury and most major multiples are sourcing stock from the very best UK growers. I know who they are and I've supplied B&Q. It is though important to buy stock within 48 hours of it arriving in store. The store staff lack knowledge and interest to care for the product, customers scrabble through making their choice etc. It's easy with ALDI because it will be advertised in advance and every store will stock the product on the day, this isn't true for other multiples. I would be wary of purchasing from B&M, Home Bargains and Homebase.

I think you are within easy reach of Bents. If you want to use an independent garden centre Bents is a good choice but in their case you will pay through the nose, probably till it bleeds. This isn't true of all independent GCs and there are many very good ones.

Hilltop GC, Shilton near Coventry is one.......just thought I'd chuck that in for one of our number. The brothers who run this GC are top drawer and really care about what the do.
Thanks Paul.
Do you know a GC in Warrington called Woolston Nursery ? Its run by a mother and son who seem to know what they are talking about and have good quality stuff.

Venod

Eh up
I've obviously been really bad then!

That was my first thoughts on reading that, the wife and I have smart watches the monitor your sleep, it has four, categories,
Duration
Regularity
Depth
Interruptions

The wife's are constantly all green, mine are 3 green 1 red, the red being depth, I never spend more than 30% of the night in a deep sleep, I sometimes get an orange for interruptions as getting up to go to the toilet is becoming more regular with age.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Aldi dash completed and back home for 0815^_^.
Got the bedding plants I needed which includes a very nice lavender. We have a raised bed with a very nice Astilbe in the centre. I will put a lavender either side of it. TBH I should have had all these plants in but I have just not been up to it.
Ohhhh yes.......
The forcast is for "no rain"...... so why is it raining :wacko:

pawl

Legendary Member
Nice walk done and breakfast consumed.

Happened to glance down onto the lawn of a big house that's set lower than the road on my walk and a huge deer was having a kip on the grass. Nice set of antlers. Sadly I didn't have the phone with me for a pic. Was gone when I returned.

Oh dear Sorry Mo couldn’t resist.👊🏽🙁🙁🙁

D

Deleted member 1258

Aldi dash completed and back home for 0815^_^.
Got the bedding plants I needed which includes a very nice lavender. We have a raised bed with a very nice Astilbe in the centre. I will put a lavender either side of it. TBH I should have had all these plants in but I have just not been up to it.
Ohhhh yes.......
The forcast is for "no rain"...... so why is it raining :wacko:

There was no rain in yesterday's forecast here yet it p****d down most of the day.

Top Bottom