The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
OK, you still have the little green sticky thing which the grower used. Pretty useless now. I would get some bamboo canes, look for something the depth of the container + 2/3 foot - one 8 foot cane cut up should do it. Make a small A frame and push it in to the compost to the base of the pot. Place the frame behind the plant so the frame is supporting the bulk of the plant. If it's easy to do loosely tie a couple of stems to the frame but only do this if it's easy as I don't want you breaking anything.

Really nice looking tomato Dave. I'd stand by and quietly admire it if it was in my greenhouse. 👏

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I was outside on a pair of step ladders cleaning the windows in the rain.:wacko: I know. It was very fine rain, but rain nonetheless.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Paul I remember you talking about creaking pedals. Mine are the same. Is normal chain oil ok or would a dab of grease maybe last longer? I’ve used oil before but it’s inclined to get a bit gungy.
Yep I use the same oil as I use on my chain. Are we talking SPDs? I don't know about Look pedals. I just blob a bit on the springs and the bit where they attach to the crank. I also slightly loosen the cleats and dribble a little between cleat and sole.

Yesterday I used too much and missed my clip in several times. Keep it to a minimum.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
:eek: that must have been a very hard frost to blacken Rhodo leaves. Was it the new young growth?

Yes. New growth. It was horrible. They went all mushy

classic33

Leg End Member
OK, you still have the little green sticky thing which the grower used. Pretty useless now. I would get some bamboo canes, look for something the depth of the container + 2/3 foot - one 8 foot cane cut up should do it. Make a small A frame and push it in to the compost to the base of the pot. Place the frame behind the plant so the frame is supporting the bulk of the plant. If it's easy to do loosely tie a couple of stems to the frame but only do this if it's easy as I don't want you breaking anything.

Really nice looking tomato Dave. I'd stand by and quietly admire it if it was in my greenhouse. 👏
You suggesting he sets up a webcam to keep an eye on it?

Morning.

Well, as of today I can officially call myself a pensioner, although at 47 yrs old it feels a bit silly.... I’ll be 48 next month...
I repaired accident damaged cars until my late 20s before joining the police, I’ve completed 19 yrs service, 8 yrs as a PC and 11 as a sergeant but a number of shoulder ops In the last few years with some complications to my nervous system have meant that I’ve retired under ill health.
I’ve had a fantastic career although the last few years have been very difficult and I’ve very mixed emotions as I feel like I’ve cheated somehow but it’s for the best.

I’ve had a nice distraction this week as my new bike, a retirement present has arrived at the LBS 6 weeks early and I hope to collect it today! Photos to follow...

last thing, am I the youngest here??

Cheers Stuart.
:welcome:

Exlaser2

Veteran
Not sure bimbling applies to boats........can we not come up with another word? :laugh:

Bimbling in boats doesn’t quite mean the same in cycling.
Potter in or bob about in boats is the same as bimbling in cycling. Ie taking part in a activity/sport with out any competition involved.
Bimbling in a boat is working on a control that already works fine , in the vain hope that you can make it work better . Sailors spend a lot of time playing with bits of string on dry land 😂😂

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
We will be having more of our home grown green beans today. The frost didn't manage to quite kill everything.
My beans are going really well.
They're growing faster than we can eat them. :okay:

Top Bottom