The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We sometimes get crews near here. Filming something that seems popular with some, but have never watched it. Outlander think it's called.
Never watched Outlander either but I have seen the odd still advertising it. Nearest thing we have had is when my local practice nurse and farmers wife organised her daughter's wedding outdoors on the farm. Bride and groom both arrived on horseback. Him with a kilt and the bride with some voluminous tartan riding outfit and riding astride not side saddle. She showed me some pics on my last visit and it looked quite spectacular as they appeared to gallop up to the venue.
You will certainly have lots of Outlander fans gawking around as many seem to have some kind of compulsion to visit such film locations. We had thousands of Balamory fans with small children for a few years. I do mean thousands as probably that many arrived nearly every day for a while. The bus company had to hire in extra buses and drivers to cope.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I can't remember the last time I saw a police officer. Must be about 18 months ago. And that was because of an accident:laugh:
The local police station is only a couple of hundred yards away from me so they are driving past quite often. Never on foot or bike nowadays tho'. My late wife's cousin was Chief Superintendent for this area and told us some quite funny stories most of which I could never repeat. We did have one local constable at Craignure known as " The Cod" for some obscure reason.

classic33

Leg End Member
Happy Valley*, Ackley Bridge, Gentleman Jack(loosely set on Ann Listers life story), Last Tango in Halifax, Life on Mars, DCI Banks.

*The flat in which they found the body(on the ground floor floor, actually the fifth floor) was just down the road.

Ackley Bridge had an odd headmaster's office. It was actually the girls toilets outside 10B, from the outside at least.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Never watched Outlander either but I have seen the odd still advertising it. Nearest thing we have had is when my local practice nurse and farmers wife organised her daughter's wedding outdoors on the farm. Bride and groom both arrived on horseback. Him with a kilt and the bride with some voluminous tartan riding outfit and riding astride not side saddle. She showed me some pics on my last visit and it looked quite spectacular as they appeared to gallop up to the venue.
You will certainly have lots of Outlander fans gawking around as many seem to have some kind of compulsion to visit such film locations. We had thousands of Balamory fans with small children for a few years. I do mean thousands as probably that many arrived nearly every day for a while. The bus company had to hire in extra buses and drivers to cope.

It is not uncommon for Tourist Boards (or whatever they are called now) to encourage such things, think "Herriot Country" ; "Cookson Country" ; "Wordsworth Country"............ etc, etc

classic33

Leg End Member
Me :eek:
Me know nothing
I'm saying as little as possible...

Dave7

Legendary Member
Happy Valley*, Ackley Bridge, Gentleman Jack(loosely set on Ann Listers life story), Last Tango in Halifax, Life on Mars, DCI Banks.

*The flat in which they found the body(on the ground floor floor, actually the fifth floor) was just down the road.

Ackley Bridge had an odd headmaster's office. It was actually the girls toilets outside 10B, from the outside at least.
Last Tango
Life on Mars
Excellent progs.

Most of the prime Outlander locations are around here, eg. Midhope Castle, Blackness Castle, Hopetoun House, Glencorse Old Kirk, Preston Mill, Abercorn Church, and over the bridge Culross and Falkland.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
@Dave7 how does this compare to your babies?
This is the first one that's ripened on my plants.

Exlaser2

Veteran
Just back from my first post Covid dinghy race. Now relaxing with a cold drink trying to decide what part of my body hurts most. Lol TBH it was just great to race again and have the pre and post race banter.
The post race wine/ beer served in a take away fashion ( the club house is still closed ) by the bar manager ( me) was also quite good 😂😂😀

Top Bottom