The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Does this not contradict or am I being thick? :laugh:

New rules mean that you must not make indoor social visits to other households. To stay safe and protect others, please follow these stricter rules now. Read more about the new measures. This guide is currently under review.
Meeting others
Adults:
  • can meet socially, indoors or outdoors, in groups of up to 6 from no more than 2 households at a time
As I posted somewhere else the whole thing is a mish mash and full of holes. As I read it I can in fact go and stay overnight at my son's house as long as we form an extended family whatever that is. live on my own so it seems to be ok under the current regulation.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
So I've had another delve in to what I can and cannot do. I cannot have my sons in my house or garden and we cannot visit them. Got that, no problem. We can meet in a pub etc. and we can meet as friends and family under the Rule of Six but it seems this should not be in our house or garden. Ok I can deal with this one though I do wonder if my allotment is garden?? :laugh: Anyway I digress. I am allowed to meetup to six friends under the Rule of Six.

There is nothing else in the Guidelines, laws or whatever which effects us as these are things we do not do - work, public transport etc. I understand about pubs, cafes etc.

Last night's discussion was about sport and physical activity and sports. Mrs P has a friend who is somewhat "relaxed" about all of this, they play tennis and bowls together. Friend has argued they can play bowls together under the Rule of Six. Mrs P says they cannot as the bowls is not organised by a club as defined under Team Sports. Friend asks what about tennis. Mrs P says they can play tennis together because they belong to the same club. Now this is where it gets very tricky. Mrs P is quoting the rules which have been issued under Team Sport and Physical Activity.

Those rules state:

You can continue to take part in organised sporting or licensed physical activity in groups of more than 6. This can be in any public place – indoors or outdoors – but not in a private outdoor space like a garden or inside a private home. These activities either need to be organised by a national governing body, club, registered instructor/coach, business or charity, and/or involve someone who has received an official licence to use equipment relevant to the activity. In all cases, the organiser must conduct a risk assessment and ensure compliance with COVID-19 secure guidance.

So Mrs P is of the opinion because they belong to the same tennis club they can play together under the above. The reality is all that happens is four people play together, there is no organiser, there is no risk assessment, there is no team, blah, blah, blah. However they don't belong to a bowling club so can't play together!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I questioned if tennis is a team sport. Mrs P says it is as she and a partner consitute a team in doubles. I said "What about singles?" :laugh:

Mrs P is of the opinion I should not cycle with anyone. I'm working on the Rule of Six............I've decided not to go down the route of "if my buddies and I work together to get somewhere and I lead out for the cafe we consitute a cycle team and we belong to the same club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :laugh:

Overall I'm of the "feck it I'll get on with life" school of thought.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:. Good man

Dave7

Legendary Member
My twin grandsons have just got their first girlfriends. We havnt met them yet, my granddaughter seems to get through a fair few boyfriends and the ones she chooses are more than a bit iffy in some cases. One started wearing make up and dressing in women's clothes. That came to an end touts suite :laugh:

You couldn't make this up could you?
Sorry but is there something wrong with wearing make up and dressing in womens clothes ??
I get some funny looks but I am ok with it.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Delving further into the regulations it appears that I probably can form an extended family as I live on my own. I am therefore probably free to visit and stay for a few days as I normally do. Depends on the interpretation my DIL puts on this as I have no wish to fall out with her.
Certainly sounds like you should be able to according to what I've read.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
MrsD does get annoyed......but only when I borrow her best knickers.

Ewww:laugh::laugh: that's just pervy

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Delving further into the regulations it appears that I probably can form an extended family as I live on my own. I am therefore probably free to visit and stay for a few days as I normally do. Depends on the interpretation my DIL puts on this as I have no wish to fall out with her.
I am sure you are correct. The key point is you live alone. It's certainly the LAW in England, I don't know about Scotland.

Top Bottom