The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Nice walk on Staple Plain up to Beacon Hill on the Quantocks this morning.

Minehead in the distance, where our bestest mates in the world are moving to in a months time. They will only be 1 hour away, instead of 3 1/2. :wahhey:

New nuclear power station being built at Hinkley Point.

View across to Cardiff.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Toadstool for tea anyone? :laugh:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Thanks @Tenkaykev your situation is remarkably similar to mine except my Youview box is slightly earlier. I even have an LG TV. I think I'll buy a new Humax. I sell stuff on eBay but only very rarely buy.

We bought this one. It does all of the pause, record stuff, plus, Netflix etc etc. There are versions with smaller HDD, at slightly lower price. Very happy with is so far (about three months).

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It has to know where you are as it can't tell your in a higher risk area. And I don't think it will allow you to use the ap if you don't agree to it doing so

Don't want to turn this into a Corona thread, but, I don't quite understand this App.

I thought it worked via Bluetooth, but, Blue tooth has a range of 50+ metres, so, I don't want to be forced to self isolate just because I have been within 50 metres of someone who has tested positive?

Also, I note various premises now have QR codes to scan, I thought the App would just know where you were via GPS signal on your phone?

As with many things, it seemed like a good idea.... but......

Until how/if it works is made clear, I shall not be downloading it ;)

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Don't want to turn this into a Corona thread, but, I don't quite understand this App.

I thought it worked via Bluetooth, but, Blue tooth has a range of 50+ metres, so, I don't want to be forced to self isolate just because I have been within 50 metres of someone who has tested positive?

Also, I note various premises now have QR codes to scan, I thought the App would just know where you were via GPS signal on your phone?

If an individual tests positive for COVID-19, those who have been in recent close proximity to their device may receive an alert.
You will get an alert so it is up to you to get tested........yeah right if your got to drive yourself 100 miles to a test centre so
you ignore the alert until you feel unwell and just stay indoors, how many will do that, I've got the app, but will it work in practice I don't know

aferris2

Guru

Its supposed to work out how far away the other person is by measuring the signal strength. How accurate it is though is another question...
I didn't know anything about getting a QR code, so have just done it for my wifes business. You have to provide the address plus contact details, then you get emailed a QR code. Using a QR code reader I got this (bits masked out to protect privacy)
{edit]...
...which when you scan it with the App, you get:

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Its supposed to work out how far away the other person is by measuring the signal strength. How accurate it is though is another question...
I didn't know anything about getting a QR code, so have just done it for my wifes business. You have to provide the address plus contact details, then you get emailed a QR code. Using a QR code reader I got this (bits masked out to protect privacy)
View attachment 549256
{edit]...
...which when you scan it with the App, you get:
View attachment 549266

Hmm. What alarmed me was, today, we were travelling north on A1M. We stopped for coffee at Ferrybridge Services. QR code to scan. It is a very large area, lots of people. How on earth is the App going to know which areas I visited?

As I said, don’t want to hijack this thread with CV-19 talk.

Best leave it there, I think.

12boy

Guru
As I had just finished a sardine lunch someone began beating on the front door. Even though Mrs 12 is bigger and more impressive than I, it was my task to answer it. A gent from the Gas Co said there was a gas problem in the next door house and we'd best stand in our yard as far away from the neighbors as possible. He didn't ring the doorbell because it could create a spark and the extent of the leakmwas not known. Shortly after firemen came and blocked off the street in front of our cul de sac and told us to evacuate at least a block away. We went a mile away to a ridge nearby from whence we could see our street and were soon joined by a more neighbors. All of us brought our pooches and as I found a bag of dog cookies all the dogs enjoyed some. We were up there for about an hour when yet another neighbor called to say we could go home and we found our CRV wouldn't start. Fortunately one of the neighbors who was there with us had jumpers and we got the car started and got home. 2 years ago some folks about 2 miles away as the crow flies went on vacation and had a little gas leak while gone. The resulting explosion destroyed that house and really damaged houses in a half block radius. It shook the windows in our house and the noise was incredible. It was interesting to think it could happen on our street and we could lose our house and all our stuff in the twinkling of an eye. The lady who lives in the gas leak house has some mental issues but they got her out and she is ok. Just a little Saturday afternoon drama.

classic33

Leg End Member
As I had just finished a sardine lunch someone began beating on the front door. Even though Mrs 12 is bigger and more impressive than I, it was my task to answer it. A gent from the Gas Co said there was a gas problem in the next door house and we'd best stand in our yard as far away from the neighbors as possible. He didn't ring the doorbell because it could create a spark and the extent of the leakmwas not known. Shortly after firemen came and blocked off the street in front of our cul de sac and told us to evacuate at least a block away. We went a mile away to a ridge nearby from whence we could see our street and were soon joined by a more neighbors. All of us brought our pooches and as I found a bag of dog cookies all the dogs enjoyed some. We were up there for about an hour when yet another neighbor called to say we could go home and we found our CRV wouldn't start. Fortunately one of the neighbors who was there with us had jumpers and we got the car started and got home. 2 years ago some folks about 2 miles away as the crow flies went on vacation and had a little gas leak while gone. The resulting explosion destroyed that house and really damaged houses in a half block radius. It shook the windows in our house and the noise was incredible. It was interesting to think it could happen on our street and we could lose our house and all our stuff in the twinkling of an eye. The lady who lives in the gas leak house has some mental issues but they got her out and she is ok. Just a little Saturday afternoon drama.
Always good to hear no-one got hurt.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hmm. What alarmed me was, today, we were travelling north on A1M. We stopped for coffee at Ferrybridge Services. QR code to scan. It is a very large area, lots of people. How on earth is the App going to know which areas I visited?

As I said, don’t want to hijack this thread with CV-19 talk.

Best leave it there, I think.
Equally I don't want to turn this in to a Covid-19 thread but I think we're all mature enough to chat about it.

After my first experience of QR scanning on arrival at a cafe I began to wonder how this works. How is my location known? What is a contact? I've chatted with friends of a similar age, with young people, friends who work in IT. Not one understood how the app works which leads to confusion and concern and potential unwillingness to use it.

So after 72 hours of questions and searching - how many are going to do that? - I found the answers in the FAQs. I can't explain the technology but I do now understand how the technology works.

A "close contact" is less than 2 metres apart for 15 minutes or longer. Using Bluetooth the app can measure and store this information. If a "close contact" tests positive he/she is asked to enter a code in to the app. The code activates the app to send out an alert to all those who the app has registered as a "close contact." Each piece of data in the app deletes after 14 days so you won't get an alert for a contact after this period.

Scanning a location QR code helps the process but simply being at Ferrybridge Services will not result in you getting an alert because a positive person visited at the same time. You have to be less than two metres from him/her for 15 minutes. Same applies to supermarkets, shops etc.

Leaving one's phone in, e.g, a sports locker would be a mistake as that could give a false contact.

It does not use GPS location services.

The vast majority will have little interest or determination to discover how this works. Misinformation will be widespread.

Very poor communication in my view.

Last edited:
Top Bottom