The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I'd have had the Otter stew but they only did it as a tarkaway.........
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

12boy

Guru
Had a VW bus once named Toulouse La Truck. It was a great bus. Classic 33, we set your place but you never showed, alas.
Going to be a great day here under the Eternal Blue Sky....saw Marco Polo on Netflicks where that expression was used...in fact Mongolia and Wyoming are very similar, or so said a group of Mongolian elders who came here to discuss yak husbandry or some such.
I don't know if this might help you, but I've been taking 400 mg of magnesium nightly to aid with leg cramps which were afflicting me to the point of waking me up. It does seem to help with that but it also can help with sleeping as well. Still have the occasional 5 hr night but sometimes sleep for over 7 hours. For me it's not the going to sleep the first time but staying that way and being able to return to sleep when I inevitably waken at night for a whiz. Getting 7+ hours sleep is pretty plush to me.

D

Deleted member 1258

Brandon Marsh Nature Reserve the destination, The journey? with the computer problem I can't be sure how far, but looking at other trips there 41 miles won't be far out. A dry and bright morning for a change so I dropped the car off at the garage and walked back home then got my gear on, got my fixed out and off I went. My route took me across Coventry and out through Wood End heading for Shilton, I had an unscheduled stop just outside Shilton to retighten a loose computer magnet and then on my way, in Shilton Witheybrook Lane was closed, I wasn't surprised it often floods after heavy rain, so I stayed on the Wolvey road and took the next right into Witheybrook then onto the fosseway, the road for Monks Kirby was being resurfaced so I stayed on the fosseway then turned through Stretton Under Fosse, Brinklow and onto Bretford before turning into Woolston and on to the cafe. On the way back I turned through Woolston, crossed the bridge then turned to climb through Kings Newnham and on through Harborough Magna, passed the radio masts and on to Pailton, I turned right towards Monks Kirby then left towards Withybrook and my route out in reverse back into Coventry. My first ride on my fixed since March and my first ride using a 44x17 gearing, it took me most of the ride out to get used to fixed again, but the gearing felt good, it might be a bit big for some of the hills but no problems this morning and on the flat I was rolling along around 20 mph and what descents I did today were comfortable. It rained on the way back when I was riding through Woolston over the bridge and on the climb up to Kings Newnham, but it was only a shower and was all the rain I saw. Another good morning out on my bike, having been kept in over the last few days it was good to get out.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Any decent ones you can recommend? I quite like to while away the hours playing puzzle games.
I like old favourites such as Spider Solitaire and Sudoku.

I have a backgammon app on my tablet. I usually have a couple of games of that a day, though I don't really rate it. It makes a few blunders now and then, and especially when about to lose. Not that it matters when no money is involved, but it annoys me when it overlooks a piece in my home quarter and rushes to get less important pieces to safety in its own home quarter so I backgammon it, when it could have easily only lost a gammon!

I like '2048'. There are lost of free versions available. There is the pressure to achieve a score of 2048, but after that I just relax and see if I can beat my high score.

My absolute favourite puzzle game currently is 'Palisade'. (That link takes you to a web version but native versions are available for Unix, Mac and Windows.) There is a huge collection of other free puzzles on the same site. The version of Minesweeper is interesting because it NEVER blows up on your first move, something which annoys me on the conventional version.

PS The web version of Palisade has started looking a bit odd on my laptop. I don't know if it is a problem on my machine, or whether a bug has been introduced since I first played the game online. I now play it offline on my tablet, which reminds me - there is a free Android app which has ALL of the puzzles in it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom