The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good morning all. A bit late on parade today.
It's :rain::rain::rain::rain:.
Millie our dog has been taken to the Vet, she is having treatment for arthritis today. Xrays on her front shoulders and elbows and Plasma therapy injections into the joints. Also a small amount of fat cells will be taken to grow stem cells for future use when and if necessary.
Cutting edge treatment.
I hope the insurance company coughs up.:ohmy:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I feel like a stalker @PaulSB .....

this might sound like a familiar tale, I called in last week to see Ian to organise a new winter bike, nothing available, I’ll keep an eye out he says.
He rings me an hour later, just had the Madison rep in, gives me the details of a genesis datum and tells me to call in sat morning.
Not overly blown away by the web images but I called in on sat and leave an hour later having agreed to the datum frame with a 105 group set, alex rims, mudguards, 44cm control tech bars, fabric seat and Schwalbe G-one speed 30mm tubeless tyres.
The groupset isn’t available yet but I’m in no rush due to having my collarbone reset and plated next week!!

View attachment 554985
I've been glancing over my shoulder! 😆

I was similar. Ian called. I wasn't overwhelmed with his description but said I'd go down. He said it was white which doesn't work for me. Anyway I read the reviews, gauged reaction on here when I dropped it in to posts and also know Genesis are highly regarded.

The reviews are excellent.

The Tifossi was always a leap of faith for me. I wasn't convinced but I do believe in what Ian tells me.

Now the Genesis! WOW. The moment I saw her :wub:. I only ever buy black or grey but this creamy grey and teal colour scheme is beautiful.

Bigger pluses are better mudguard mounts, internal cabling, third bottle position, sloping down tube and rear drop out is traditional - I've found through axles difficult to insert in the pouring rain by the road.

Excited.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
An interesting (and worrying) fact.
When we were in Majorca we got talking to a family. Turned out they live less than a mile from us........we keep in touch.
The hubby came down with Covid and ended up in hospital on oxygen.
Yesterday the wife told us there are about a dozen cases in or around the close they live in :eek:.
Their Close forms part of our 2 mile walk.
When we are well enough to resume our walks we may give that a miss :wacko:
I'm concerned by the number of friends who have had Covid-19 or are currently isolating. Young lad next door but one is isolating at the moment. Happily no one has been seriously ill - yet. I've limited myself to nothing more than cycling and supermarket and I'm redoubling my efforts to be careful. Oh and visiting the LBS!!

Cases have dropped in Chorley from a high of 1928 on Sunday to 1349 today. The first time we have been hedaing in the right direction for a couple of weeks.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'm concerned by the number of friends who have had Covid-19 or are currently isolating. Young lad next door but one is isolating at the moment. Happily no one has been seriously ill - yet. I've limited myself to nothing more than cycling and supermarket and I'm redoubling my efforts to be careful. Oh and visiting the LBS!!

Cases have dropped in Chorley from a high of 1928 on Sunday to 1349 today. The first time we have been hedaing in the right direction for a couple of weeks.
Warrington is, sadly, going the opposite direction and rates of 360 per 100k are double the national average.
The hospital beds are 98% full which is dangerous.
We are doing similar to you......keep head down and isolate.

classic33

Leg End Member
Woke at 3.00 which frankly is a bit of a bummer! Had a brew and read the paper, now that's a depressing activity.

Nothing planned for the day so I'm hoping to sleep/doze for sometime.😴
On here at 03:28, searching.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.

Where my son works, one the other men had been coming to work but feeling a little unwell. Yesterday this mans daughter was tested positive, so he was sent home for a test. .
This has implications for the rest of the unit my son works in, and the others.
If this other man's test come back positive all who have been in contact with him will have to be isolated and tested.
The unit will be more or less closed, and they start a big engineering job this weekend for a month, or maybe they won't. :ohmy:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Two of my daughters have now had Covid, plus one grand-daughter and one Son-in-law. Also, among my wider circle, several peoples grandchildren (at University) have had it.

Fortunately, all with minor symptoms and no complications.

We are “behaving sensibly”, limiting contact, keeping fit, etc., but, IMHO, we are all going to get it eventually, you just have to hope you are one of the lucky 99% who recover.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Back from the van and I finally figured out how to remove the pelmet bulbs.
It's just a simple matter of dismantling half of the cupboard units. :wacko:
Anyway, I've left it dismantled and come home to order the LED strip lights - should be here by Monday.
These will make quite a big difference to the current draw when we are off grid. :okay:
Hopefully, it will all be back together by midweek.

I've been glancing over my shoulder! 😆

I was similar. Ian called. I wasn't overwhelmed with his description but said I'd go down. He said it was white which doesn't work for me. Anyway I read the reviews, gauged reaction on here when I dropped it in to posts and also know Genesis are highly regarded.

The reviews are excellent.

The Tifossi was always a leap of faith for me. I wasn't convinced but I do believe in what Ian tells me.

Now the Genesis! WOW. The moment I saw her :wub:. I only ever buy black or grey but this creamy grey and teal colour scheme is beautiful.

Bigger pluses are better mudguard mounts, internal cabling, third bottle position, sloping down tube and rear drop out is traditional - I've found through axles difficult to insert in the pouring rain by the road.

Excited.
Take your point about fiddly thru axles. However...I’ve found with my Croix de Fer, cable disc brakes, conventional axles, that every time I put the wheel in it settles in the drop out very slightly differently, only very slightly but with the minute gap between pads and disc it’s enough to set the pad rubbing. So I have to adjust the brakes every time I drop the wheel in and out, applies to both front and rear. Don’t know whether this would still apply with hydraulic discs.

Top Bottom