The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
@12boy @oldwheels

View attachment 569983

Soft Cod roes.
Maybe an acquired taste, but I love them on toast with salt and vinegar. :hungry:

I couldn't eat roe like that, but I like Taramasalata. Makes a nice dip with crackers.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not sure if the 15km from front door is true, but, my brother’s latest funny:

Attachments

• B55A6278-F892-493B-8B5F-5D4771AC08F6.jpeg
    B55A6278-F892-493B-8B5F-5D4771AC08F6.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 4
D

Deleted member 1258

Some cotton did come from India, but a lot of it came from the 'deep south' of the USA. The Union naval blockade of Confederate ports had severe effects this side of the Atlantic...

I used to do the annual 'Rossendale Mountain Bike Challenge' over many of our rugged local hills. One part of the route was over Rooley Moor Road , a cobbled path which struck me as being a very odd thing to head up over that hillside. I investigated and discovered the fascinating history of it...

The Cotton Famine Road - link #1, link #2.

An interesting read.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have never been able to eat them. You are eating eyes, brains, intestines xx(.
No thanks.

Ugh... that reminds me of another experience when living/working overseas... when working in Malta, one of the guys in the group had a girlfriend who, when eating prawns (served whole), would break off the head, and suck out the brains. She even went as far as to collect the heads discarded by the rest of us, and eat the brains. Never seemed to do her any harm... ;)

pawl

Legendary Member
We holidayed in Portugal 2 years ago and had planned to have sardines.
To my (limited) knowledge that is how they are served.
Very very tasty but what a pain.....each one must have a thousand bones.
You have to pull the flesh off with your fingers to avoid the bones.
We would do it again but just one portion between us.

I’ll stick to having mine out of a tin.I usually buy sardines in brine Mash them up with a good dollop of tomato sauce and have them on toast.Occasionally have a sardine sandwich.

Yes I know you can get them in tomato sauce but I like a good dab of sauce.🥸:notworthy::notworthy:

Top Bottom