The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hello. :hello: Blowing an absolute hoolie! I had planned an hour of hill reps but now cancelled. Nothing else on the agenda except blue, grey and brown bins.

It's been quite a time in the last 72 hours. Saturday our American friends messaged to say they've booked a cottage in Cornwall from September 18th. Excellent. Will we join them? Yes. The Fred Whitton has been moved to September 19th. I now have to drive from the Lakes to Cornwall on September 20th! :ohmy:

A wonderful ride yesterday in warm spring sunshine. Superb. Really enjoyed it. Got home and ate, drank etc. all as usual. I had an online exercise class at 6.30.

I have epilepsy, only four fits in my life, and my triggers are associated with blood sugar and tiredness. The indicator is sudden hunger and a distant feeling. I have 20 minutes to eat or things can go badly. Fifteen minutes in to the class I'm suddenly thinking "wow, this isn't good." Told the instructor and disappeared from the class. Fortunately she is a good friend and gave me food five years ago at the top of a big climb which is the last time this happened. She immediately remembered what was happening. Weird. I need to think about this. I followed my usual eating regime but know my hydration was poor yesterday.

Decided to check BP and resting HR this morning. We have an Omron BP and HR meter exactly the same as you'll have seen in hospitals. So resting HR 40 and BP 120/70. Perfect.

It's been a strange 24 hours.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good morning all,
A nice bright start to the day here, and it's due to last most of the day:bravo:.
Back to the shorts, first time this year. ^_^
MrsP and myself have worked out a route taking in 6 local parks, so a longish walk around the back streets of Barnet/Whetstone and Finchley later on. The dog should be tired out along with us.:laugh:

Stay safe everyone :cuppa:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Good morning all,
A nice bright start to the day here, and it's due to last most of the day:bravo:.
Back to the shorts, first time this year. ^_^
MrsP and myself have worked out a route taking in 6 local parks, so a longish walk around the back streets of Barnet/Whetstone and Finchley later on. The dog should be tired out along with us.:laugh:

Stay safe everyone :cuppa:

6 local parks! we often manage a route with 3 parks, but, 6 is excellent! Enjoy ;)

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just reading that Majorca are allowing bars to open from next Tuesday BUT..........
only terraces (yep, I understand that).
only till 1800. Why is that??? Does Covid switch off until that time??
I understand they don't want people getting bladdered but 1800 ??

Tenkaykev

Guru
I washed my kit yesterday, always do after a ride. Still in the machine. It's blowing a gale so kit is going on the line for a proper airing for the first time in months.

I will smell like a fresh spring day on the next ride.
When I was getting a few smellies as Christmas gifts from the Lush shop in Poole I bought a bar of soap that smelled great. A sort of faint hippy base with lighter notes. I put it in my kit drawer still in the wrapping paper and it subtly permeated all my kit:becool:

classic33

Leg End Member
Hello. :hello: Blowing an absolute hoolie! I had planned an hour of hill reps but now cancelled. Nothing else on the agenda except blue, grey and brown bins.

It's been quite a time in the last 72 hours. Saturday our American friends messaged to say they've booked a cottage in Cornwall from September 18th. Excellent. Will we join them? Yes. The Fred Whitton has been moved to September 19th. I now have to drive from the Lakes to Cornwall on September 20th! :ohmy:

A wonderful ride yesterday in warm spring sunshine. Superb. Really enjoyed it. Got home and ate, drank etc. all as usual. I had an online exercise class at 6.30.

I have epilepsy, only four fits in my life, and my triggers are associated with blood sugar and tiredness. The indicator is sudden hunger and a distant feeling. I have 20 minutes to eat or things can go badly. Fifteen minutes in to the class I'm suddenly thinking "wow, this isn't good." Told the instructor and disappeared from the class. Fortunately she is a good friend and gave me food five years ago at the top of a big climb which is the last time this happened. She immediately remembered what was happening. Weird. I need to think about this. I followed my usual eating regime but know my hydration was poor yesterday.

Decided to check BP and resting HR this morning. We have an Omron BP and HR meter exactly the same as you'll have seen in hospitals. So resting HR 40 and BP 120/70. Perfect.

It's been a strange 24 hours.
When was your last daytime fit/siezure/episode/call it what you want?

classic33

Leg End Member
I love coffee and hate tea. Can't even stand the smell of the stuff xx(xx(
He's just been informed.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
When was your last daytime fit/siezure/episode/call it what you want?
2011 about 7.20 on a July evening. I was tired, stressed and hungry. Driving home an hour earlier I stupidly ate a Mars bar even though I know a sugar rush on an empty stomach is bad news. Mrs P said tea would be 10 minutes, feeling distant I sat down and woke up with a paramedic bending over me.

Prior to this it was 1978 at a rock festival. Similar circumstances. Nothing illegal!

I'm really very, very fortunate to know and manage the triggers and to understand the warning signs. Last night was a surprise because I'd followed my usual routine but had drunk less than usual.

Top Bottom