The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've had a rethink about my future shopping plans...

I like our local Lidl. The new Aldi is fine and I have found a few things that I prefer there, but generally Lidl is similar and there are more things that I prefer there. Instead of defaulting to Aldi and doing the odd little ride over to Lidl, I'll default to Lidl and do the odd stroll to Aldi, with Aldi the choice if I run out of something just before closing time. These days I often only leave the house to go to the supermarket, so I really don't want to reduce that time (and exercise) to the bare minimum.

Speaking of exercise, and the cold... Bubble pal is just back from Morrisons and she said that she abandoned her planned pre-shopping walk because it felt so cold outside. That is putting me off the short ride that I had been planning (a couple of small hills on the singlespeed bike and a quick visit to Lidl). I'll see if I can motivate myself to go out later but for now I will stay in the warm.

As for vaccination... The situation with that is getting more confusing for me! If I just accepted going to Burnley or Halifax then I could crack on with it, but I don't want to go to either of those places. I want to be done here in Tod. I have spent 13 months avoiding plague-ridden hordes and don't want to expose myself to them now to get vaccinated. I don't drive so it would either mean using public transport or cycling to the vaccination centre. I wouldn't want to leave my bike locked up in Burnley OR Halifax town centres while I was being done, and I don't want to use public transport again until 3 weeks after I have been vaccinated. It would be just my luck to get infected and seriously ill before the protection from a vaccination kicked in!

I have heard a rumour that someone 5 years younger than me and with no risk factors (known to me) was done at my local health centre weeks ago. I'm beginning to think that the GP has forgotten about me! The advice is NOT to phone them but if I don't get an appointment next week then I will ask at reception when in the health centre for a blood test the following week.
Vaccination is being done in Boots, Market Street. They've staff outside who'll be able to keep an eye on the bike. Possibly allowing you to take it inside.

Hebden Bridge seems busier than Halifax at present.

12boy

Guru
No one gets more steps than our Mo.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I walked past the local allotments yesterday and saw that a lot of the plots were busy ( 8 year waiting list from the council )
I've noticed that several of the allotment holders are using either water ( blue) or Gas ( yellow) service pipes bent into half hoops and used as supports for the quonset style tunnels/greenhouses.
I do similar. I have raised beds. First push bamboo canes in to the soil and against the timber walls. Slip electrical conduit over the bamboo canes to form a hoop. Run a length of string down the centre of the bed attached to the apex of each hoop. Then stretch plastic, fleece, netting as needed over the hoops. Makes a great temporary tunnel offering different types of protection.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Today turned from a bitter cold grey morning to a cold bright and sunny afternoon. I've still not found my cycling mojo, its AWOL and I've no interest in my bikes at all, so I went for a walk instead. I did the same walk I did a couple of weeks ago but changed the end, out down Meadow road, onto the path past the play ground, over the old railway and the road in the Prologues industrial estate and then into the green space behind the estate, lovely place, two large ponds and a network of paths to walk, when I got to the road I turned into Ash Green, crossed the main road and walked down to St Giles church, walking back up onto the main road further down I crossed the road and walked back to the industrial estate using a unmade road that runs parallel to Wheelwright Lane then retraced my steps home.
Dave my cycling get up go is still on an extended Christmas break , only 6 rides since new year . Weather, Mum in Law needs more help from Mrs JK and I and finally ( this is turning into a winge) my experience with the jab. The side effects lasted over 2 weeks , periods of shivering and feeling extremely cold and abdominal pains which ok may have been a coincidence. After a long and amicable relationship my gall bladder decided to throw all its toys out of the pram .It’s painful and resulted in a total loss of appetite. But every cloud all my Christmas and winter padding went in week .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Vaccination is being done in Boots, Market Street. They've staff outside who'll be able to keep an eye on the bike. Possibly allowing you to take it inside.
I'll do it if I have to but I'll try to sort out an appointment here first.
@ColinJ you're 64/65? If you haven't been offered the vaccine yet I suggest you've been missed off lists. Phone your GP ASAP.
65!
It’s quite sporadic. Woman I know same age and same practice as me got hers nearly 2 weeks ago. Haven’t heard anything yet.
I know a couple aged 66/67 who got done at the end of January with no risk factors to push them up the queue!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hello! :hello:

It's cold and wet. Ride plan abandoned. I'll do the housework a day early as forecast for tomorrow is OK, which wasn't expected.

That's it. Nothing else.

I've tried reading the BBC and Guardian but cannot escape H&M stories. :blink:

And the good news, which I'm very pleased about, weighed in at 71.1kg. Unexpected to be honest and only 1.1kg from my target weight. :training:

Top Bottom