The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Bonjour. Absolutely nothing planned for today apart from playing with Molly on the field at the back so let's see what happens after that.

Exlaser2

Veteran
Gave me the date of my second jab same day asi I had my first Due April 16
Same with me . Booked mine yesterday online , first one on the 15th March and the second one on the 3rd june.
I have no idea if this has always been the case if you booked online but I do know my mum, in laws and my wife were all contacted by the Doctors surgery for the jabs , were only given the date for the first jab and are/were waiting to be contacted again. My father in law would had it first , has just been contacted to have his second jab this week .

Dave7

Legendary Member
Mrs JK started a post grad when she was 50. Although it was classed as a part time course the college mistakenly issued her with a full time NUS card . So she could take advantage of all the discounts available to full time students, including a serious discount on an Apple laptop . A few years later she decided to retire early , so within 5 years I went from sleeping with a student to sleeping with a pensioner .:sad:.
I have been sleeping with a granny for 25 years
Not bad tbh ^_^

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

Brrrrr!

Tenkaykev

Guru
Mrs JK started a post grad when she was 50. Although it was classed as a part time course the college mistakenly issued her with a full time NUS card . So she could take advantage of all the discounts available to full time students, including a serious discount on an Apple laptop . A few years later she decided to retire early , so within 5 years I went from sleeping with a student to sleeping with a pensioner .:sad:.

I did a few modules with the O.U. over the years, starting back in the 1980’s. I’ve still got my OU student registration which I’ve used ever since to get discount on my Apple Computers. Last time was in November when I purchased one of the new MacBooks with the M1 chip.
I don’t have a dot AC email address which you usually have to use to access Apple’s student store, I just go through the purchase process to the “ Order” screen and drop into the web chat option with a rep. I’ve always found them really helpful, and on one occasion told me of a processor upgrade option that would cost less than my then current selection.

I am sure I have asked this before but which/what bike do you have ?
Long story but I ended up with a Raleigh Motus - Bosch mid drive.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Same with me . Booked mine yesterday online , first one on the 15th March and the second one on the 3rd june.
I have no idea if this has always been the case if you booked online but I do know my mum, in laws and my wife were all contacted by the Doctors surgery for the jabs , were only given the date for the first jab and are/were waiting to be contacted again. My father in law would had it first , has just been contacted to have his second jab this week .
My experience, and everyone I know, is if you book online you must book the second jab at the same time. If you don't it's impossible to complete the process.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've had a rethink about my future shopping plans...

I like our local Lidl. The new Aldi is fine and I have found a few things that I prefer there, but generally Lidl is similar and there are more things that I prefer there. Instead of defaulting to Aldi and doing the odd little ride over to Lidl, I'll default to Lidl and do the odd stroll to Aldi, with Aldi the choice if I run out of something just before closing time. These days I often only leave the house to go to the supermarket, so I really don't want to reduce that time (and exercise) to the bare minimum.

Speaking of exercise, and the cold... Bubble pal is just back from Morrisons and she said that she abandoned her planned pre-shopping walk because it felt so cold outside. That is putting me off the short ride that I had been planning (a couple of small hills on the singlespeed bike and a quick visit to Lidl). I'll see if I can motivate myself to go out later but for now I will stay in the warm.

As for vaccination... The situation with that is getting more confusing for me! If I just accepted going to Burnley or Halifax then I could crack on with it, but I don't want to go to either of those places. I want to be done here in Tod. I have spent 13 months avoiding plague-ridden hordes and don't want to expose myself to them now to get vaccinated. I don't drive so it would either mean using public transport or cycling to the vaccination centre. I wouldn't want to leave my bike locked up in Burnley OR Halifax town centres while I was being done, and I don't want to use public transport again until 3 weeks after I have been vaccinated. It would be just my luck to get infected and seriously ill before the protection from a vaccination kicked in!

I have heard a rumour that someone 5 years younger than me and with no risk factors (known to me) was done at my local health centre weeks ago. I'm beginning to think that the GP has forgotten about me! The advice is NOT to phone them but if I don't get an appointment next week then I will ask at reception when in the health centre for a blood test the following week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom