The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's now raining. My decision not to join one of today's club runs proves to be a good one.

The April weather is playing havoc with my allotment. First we have the plum protection which is getting tedious; I have peas which should have been planted out a week ago and I think I must do this today; my tomatoes, peppers and courgettes are growing well in the porch but getting too soft. I think I'm going to have to carry them up to the greenhouse every morning and bring them back to the house at night!!! That will stiffen them up.
Geeeezzz.
Just in case you're unaware, it's May now. April has gone for another year.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
An American joke.

Man retired and went to the social security office to apply for social security. The woman at the desk asked to see his drivers licence as proof of identity. He realised He had forgotten it at home and told the woman he would have to go home to get it and come back. She told him to open his shirt shirt and when she saw his chest was covered in Gray hair she said that was proof enough for her and she processsed his claim.

When he went home he told his wife what had happened.

She said he should have dropped his trousers. He might have ve been entitled to disability as well. :laugh:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I pinched the image below from the jokes thread as it made me laugh and put it on my FB. Half my friends who are Line of Duty fans have given a :laugh: response. The other half have started a political debate :blink:

pawl

Legendary Member
Another nice sunny day but still that cold northerly wind.
Tomorrow looks a bit different on the forecast as it says rain and high winds. Save me watering the plants in tubs then.
Shifted some around as I put nasturtiums out and got an immediate invasion of snails who climbed over an overhang somehow. Moved them to a top border in front of the house which should be ok.
The dry weather resulted in a grass fire on the island of Coll so the lifeboat had to take some of our volunteer brigade over for a day to put it out. Strange nobody on Coll could do it but since it is mostly holiday houses now they would expect somebody else to do it.
MV Coruisk on the Oban run has developed a problem with one of the loading ramps so is operating single ended. This means reversing at one end of the route. Mostly they can turn cars on the deck to face the ramp so you can drive on and off normally but larger vehicles have to reverse and caravans are banned from this boat just now. Not that it makes much difference as mostly it is motorhomes now rather than towing vans. Gives a bit of amusement watching the antics of motorhomes trying to reverse tho'.

If I put plants in pots that may be vulnerable to slug or snail attack I spray the sides of the pot with Double U D 40 Seems to prevent the little devils climbing th pots

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Had a stroll down to the village.
White Lion doesn't open until 3pm.:sad:
Carried on walking and rang the Black Horse, yes they're open. :smile:
Pitched up at the Black Horse and had a very nice Sunday roast, washed down with 4 pints of GT Ales 'North Coast's IPA. :hungry::cheers::okay:
Wobble back home - about a mile walk - and now ready for an afternoon executive power nap. ^_^

Almost like old times.

Rea - our sexy landlady.

Yummy!

Beer!

Tenkaykev

Guru
Went for a 5k jog with Mrs Tenkaykev earlier. On this outing we followed a five minute run / one minute walk regime. The overall time was similar to our last outing when we jogged continuously. Now back down the shed painting the interior, I’ve been using part pots of leftover paint as a sort of undercoat. It’s looking a bit Jacob and his coat of many colours at the moment 🤔

oldwheels

Legendary Member
If I put plants in pots that may be vulnerable to slug or snail attack I spray the sides of the pot with Double U D 40 Seams to prevent the little devils climbing th pots
Never thought of that. What bugs me is that they got past an overhang which I did not expect. Not keen on slug pellets as they could damage birds by eating dead snails. Neighbour offered me a can of beer as he said they would drown in the beer but at least die happy. I tried beer before in my polytunnel with slight success.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Went for a 5k jog with Mrs Tenkaykev earlier. On this outing we followed a five minute run / one minute walk regime. The overall time was similar to our last outing when we jogged continuously. Now back down the shed painting the interior, I’ve been using part pots of leftover paint as a sort of undercoat. It’s looking a bit Jacob and his coat of many colours at the moment 🤔
When I was in the knitwear business we got bits of cones of wool left over. We just used random cones and made jerseys or hats depending on how much yarn was on a cone. We called then "Jazz Jerseys". This was done at slack times and saved any waste and was also profitable. I worked on the basis that minimising waste meant maximising profit.

Never thought of that. What bugs me is that they got past an overhang which I did not expect. Not keen on slug pellets as they could damage birds by eating dead snails. Neighbour offered me a can of beer as he said they would drown in the beer but at least die happy. I tried beer before in my polytunnel with slight success.
My ex's MIL used to put gravel around anything slugs wanted to eat - apparently they hate crawling over gravel.
Broken egg shells are also supposed to work

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My ex's MIL used to put gravel around anything slugs wanted to eat - apparently they hate crawling over gravel.
Broken egg shells are also supposed to work
We've had success with broken egg shells. Since I built raised beds - 6" deep sides - and put down Mypex paths covered with shingle I've eliminated the slug problem. Not seen any damage in four years.

I do hedgehog release as well so we have plenty around to help control pests.

I'm now going out to smash round my local training loop. Nice and warm here.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
An American joke.

Man retired and went to the social security office to apply for social security. The woman at the desk asked to see his drivers licence as proof of identity. He realised He had forgotten it at home and told the woman he would have to go home to get it and come back. She told him to open his shirt shirt and when she saw his chest was covered in Gray hair she said that was proof enough for her and she processsed his claim.
When he went home he told his wife what had happened.
She said he should have dropped his trousers. He might have ve been entitled to disability as well. :laugh:

Sexist ;) if that had been a woman the joke would have gone down as a lead balloon ..............

pawl

Legendary Member

Just be careful when picking up the posts as obviously it makes them very slippery I used this method on pots containing Hostas which snails love

Top Bottom