The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

:hello: morning, afternoon been a long day soon be bed time, bye :hello:

Cheer up, it'll soon be Xmas. ^_^:laugh::laugh:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Apparently there is an article in Road CC that out of 23 recycling helmets tested only 3 were approved. Doesn't bode well for manufacturers does it. The ones that passed are

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Apparently there is an article in Road CC that out of 23 recycling helmets tested only 3 were approved. Doesn't bode well for manufacturers does it. The ones that passed are

View attachment 592149
That's good news, I bought the Align II on sale before christmas for £40 from Tredz. Takes some getting used to as it's the MIPS system and it moves about on your head, but quite comfortable (didn't do much for my elbow though) :sad:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Apart from the short ride to the lbs this morning, it is just too hot for a proper ride so maybe tomorrow if a bit cooler.
I cleaned the seagull's s**t off both cars before, bought some new tubes for the Trek ( bigger tyres) , went to see another grandson in Rhyl and now just cooling off and taking it easy for the rest of the day.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thats looks like fun, I like that, but I doubt I could get my good lady to try it.
Wouldn't she trust you?
My Good Lady is worried I'd pedal off at a great rate of knots and frighten her s******s, though that thing looks like you'd have trouble getting it much above walking pace.
I was doing one of the Yorkshire Dales forum rides once and we came to the scary descent of the Coal Road to Garsdale Head.

I don't usually get too worried about speed on descents, but that road is steep, twisty and narrow. The surface wasn't brilliant either... I left everyone else behind but was sticking to about 65 kph (40 mph) when I heard a whirring sound behind me and a shout - "Coming through!" or something like that. A couple on a tandem had joined us for the ride and they obviously felt that I was being a cowardy custard on that descent. They shot past at closer to 80 kph (50 mph). It was both terrifying and impressive to behold. The woman on the back must have had total confidence in her husband. I wouldn't have wanted the responsibility - one mistake and they were history! :eek:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good afternoon all gentle folks.
Well, what a day to go out on a bike without mudguards :laugh: 54 miles in the rain.:bicycle:

Barnet to Cheshunt, 4 others turned up. On to Broxbourne, no one else turned up.:sad:
Back around the Lea Valley park, past some great lakes and then we took shelter in the cafe at the Olympic white water centre near to Waltham Cross. Tea and cakes were eaten. Then back home in the rain.

What a day to choose for a bike ride after all the lovely weather we have had recently :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Tiring day. Got on MV Coruisk as there were no shows and so enough space. There are obviously good reasons for some people not turning up but too many make a booking and then just do not bother travelling.
Police cars with blues and twos heading out of Oban at speed as I was coming in are not a good sign but heard no other sirens so probably not another RTC. A lorry tried to take bits of Connel Bridge with it yesterday but managed not to block the bridge again. The height is clearly marked but some either do not know their height or just chance it.
Got the CUK comic and notice they announce that they have bothies. Sounded interesting but they either do not know what a bothy was or have just picked the word because they liked the sound of it.
A bothy was the unmarried men's quarters on farms and and large estates. They were usually given some basic provisions but in my father's case and probably others supplemented this by poaching. He was an expert poacher and I learned a lot of ways to catch food without getting caught myself.
There are of course other bothies now which are camping with a roof and 4 walls. Doors and windows are sometimes optional. The only one I ever used was Corrour when we took bikes across the Lairig Ghru before it became fashionable.

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
Sounds like my Mrs.

I am husband Mk2. I did not know Mk1, but, by all accounts he was useless at any practical things, for example, could not even light a fire.

We have been married for 33 years, I have yet to fail at any practical task in that time, but, still, Mrs @BoldonLad expresses doubt about my ability to undertake any given project, and, expresses surprise when said project turns out OK!

For example, myself and neighbour were recently replacing (shared) garden fence. After a couple of days of work, Mrs @BoldonLad appears and says "wow, haven't you done well!", in a surprised tone.

I despair. ;)
He could not even light her fire ? Hope you sang her this when you were/are still courting
(20) Jose Feliciano & Daryl Hall - Light My Fire - Live From Daryl's House - YouTube

12boy

Guru
Went for my little ride and encountered a guy who used to be a wrench as we say at LBS I've gone to here in Casper. We got to talking and that got me a 30C ride home against the wind and then uphill. Still, we had a nice chat which I enjoyed more than the ride uphill.
After I rest a bit I will go marinate in sweat for a while outside. I believe we will try a new Thai place tonight which has a good rep.
Be safe and be well.

Top Bottom