The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mate of mine is still on the boats, the money is not what it was. He also has never made enough to retire on it comfortably.

When I was offered it was £110k for a 12 month contract, 4 weeks on, 4 off. 2 years of that and I'd have been set. A mate of mine did if for 2 years and used the proceeds to buy a successful plumbing firm, Unfortuely, I'd just returned home from 6 months on a career break from the police BG'ing in the States and my personal life was in turmoil, so the timing was just wrong. From a financial perspective though, I'd have retired at 38 if I'd gone for it.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Never had a career and the only job I had which I liked (outdoor activity instructor) paid buttons. Never defined myself by what I did for a living and was happy to go part time so I could be more involved in raising the kids. One of the best decisions I ever made. Never got into debt, other than a mortgage.

Recently realised that we were earning money we didn't need doing jobs that were taking up far too much of our time so decided to retire. Lots of people ask, 'what will you do with your time?' as if they couldn't countenance not working and wouldn't know what to do with their time. We will do more of what we do now when we're not at work - it's as simple as that. Mrs. jg has a few more weeks on the treadmill and I can't wait until she's finished too.

screenman

Legendary Member
When I was offered it was £110k for a 12 month contract, 4 weeks on, 4 off. 2 years of that and I'd have been set. A mate of mine did if for 2 years and used the proceeds to buy a successful plumbing firm, Unfortuely, I'd just returned home from 6 months on a career break from the police BG'ing in the States and my personal life was in turmoil, so the timing was just wrong. From a financial perspective though, I'd have retired at 38 if I'd gone for it.

2 years of that would not give you the pension you have now, the rate has gone well down and the conditions worse, my mate is now often fully trained guy on the boat now, where as there used to be a good few more. Last time we chatted he was coming back off of the job as it was better back on soil.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wouldn't need the pension that II have now with 200k clear on top of the savings and profit from the divorce that I had at that time. I think you over estimate the contribution my pension makes to my current financial position.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think you need to fully read my previous post. One house fully owned with no mortgage with profit from being brought out when I divorced, still with a high 5 figure sum I the bank. If I'd done 2 years on the boats my wholly owned assets and cash would have been north of half a mill, with not a single loan, finance agreement or mortgage to drain a penny of it. Thats more than some people earn in an entire lifetime, so I think I'd have survived. I'm surviving now on less.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think you need to fully read my previous post. One house fully owned with no mortgage with profit from being brought out when I divorced, still with a high 5 figure sum I the bank. If I'd done 2 years on the boats my wholly owned assets and cash would have been north of half a mill, with not a single loan, finance agreement or mortgage to drain a penny of it. Thats more than some people earn in an entire lifetime, so I think I'd have survived. I'm surviving now on less.

I know that lot, I just thought you meant you could retire at 47 on £200,000.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Another late start. Crumpets with Gin jam for breakfast. Blowing a gale so no cycling again. My only ambition today is to book some holidays.

Any luck in booking a holiday?

Dave7

Legendary Member
I wouldn't need the pension that II have now with 200k clear on top of the savings and profit from the divorce that I had at that time. I think you over estimate the contribution my pension makes to my current financial position.
Never heard of a mere man making a profit from a divorce :eek:

172traindriver

Legendary Member
You seem to have a bit too much knowledge of Dragos underwear :rolleyes:

Maybe she has been exploring what lies beneath them :blush:
Up early......06.00. Very dark. Very windy. Back to bed I went.
Up again at 09.00......house looks like a battle field. We had people round for a meal and they left quite late (too late for us to bother tidying up).
How can 4 people use so many dishes and so much cutlery ???.
Just stopped for a cuppa and am ready to do battle again.

Did the dish washer win the battle for you? :laugh:

Top Bottom