The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Waiting for me dinna!
Adnams Broadside hitting the spot. :cheers:

IMG_20190113_120742788.jpg

Dave7

Legendary Member
Waiting for me dinna!
Adnams Broadside hitting the spot. :cheers:

View attachment 446888
That is soooo bad for you. It should be served in a proper Adnams glass

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just stepping outside of the general retirement frivolities of pint quaffing and fodder scoffing for a moment... do any of you ever step back and wonder about what your life's purpose is in retirement?

I retired at age 48, got bored and started a small lifestyle business which I enjoy but of late I am thinking of quitting all over again at age 62. But... I have found myself cogitating on what is the point of Spokey in full retirement mode?

Apologies for being so earnest on a lght-hearted thread. :smile:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Just stepping outside of the general retirement frivolities of pint quaffing and fodder scoffing for a moment... do any of you ever step back and wonder about what your life's purpose is in retirement?

I retired at age 48, got bored and started a small lifestyle business which I enjoy but of late I am thinking of quitting all over again at age 62. But... I have found myself cogitating on what is the point of Spokey in full retirement mode?

I retired so I could laugh at all those that have to go out on cold dark damp miserable winter days to earn a crust. ^_^

Dave7

Legendary Member

Excellent point.
I worked solid for nearly 50 years (aged 63). I retired and simply switched off and not missed "work" for one second.
Not sure what I would have been like at 48 though.
My Bro retired aged 65 and went part time......dont think he needed the money.
I guess we are all different.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I retired so I could laugh at all those that have to go out on cold dark damp miserable winter days to earn a crust. ^_^
A few years ago I decided to get winter/Christmas work at the post office. Purely because I dont really cycle over the winter.
It would have been mid Nov till end of Jan... 06.00 till 12.00.
I got accepted.
Then, one cold dark October morning I woke at 04.30, heard the wind & rain and asked myself "do I really want that".
That morning I cancelled my application :smile:

welsh dragon

A few years ago I decided to get winter/Christmas work at the post office. Purely because I dont really cycle over the winter.
It would have been mid Nov till end of Jan... 06.00 till 12.00.
I got accepted.
Then, one cold dark October morning I woke at 04.30, heard the wind & rain and asked myself "do I really want that".
That morning I cancelled my application :smile:

Good man. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

Does there have to be a point?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Does there have to be a point?

No, I guess there doesn't have to be.

Most of my adult life I've felt that I had a definite sense of purpose as well as recognising that my career was also something that partially defined me. I'm just pondering how I will view myself in a permanently (instead of 'semi') retired state and what exactly will motivate me to get on and achieve things in the latter years of my life.

I didn't have the same angst the first time I tried retirement as, to be perfectly frank, I was shattered and tired after around 30 tough career years. I was just happy to get my feet up and recuperate.

Unlike a lot of people I thoroughly enjoyed the core part of my working life and, even now, I occasionally miss some of the challenges I faced back then - their complexity and the feeling of satisfaction I got from overcoming hurdles or achieving goals really motivated me.

I was really just asking if any of the CC retiree's had had similar thoughts and, if so, how retirement eventually panned out for them.

welsh dragon

No, I guess there doesn't have to be.

Most of my adult life I've felt that I had a definite sense of purpose as well as recognising that my career was also something that partially defined me. I'm just pondering how I will view myself in a permanently (instead of 'semi') retired state and what exactly will motivate me to get on and achieve things in the latter years of my life.

I didn't have the same angst the first time I tried retirement as, to be perfectly frank, I was shattered and tired after around 30 tough career years. I was just happy to get my feet up and recuperate.

Unlike a lot of people I thoroughly enjoyed the core part of my working life and, even now, I occasionally miss some of the challenges I faced back then - their complexity and the feeling of satisfaction I got from overcoming hurdles or achieving goals really motivated me.

I was really just asking if any of the CC retiree's had had similar thoughts and, if so, how retirement eventually panned out for them.

I had enough and couldn't wait to retire from the mad house and back stabbing office politics that went on. I have never regretted it.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've had the odd "what's it all about" moment, but nothing major. I don't think any of it means anything, so I'm just enjoying myself. It might be the waste of the second half of my life, but if it ultimately means nothing anyway then that doesnt matter.

I could go mad thinking about it, so dont. I've got a good mix of daily routine, hobbies to keep my busy, snoozing and boozing, and SAR volunteering to keep me from getting bored

Top Bottom