The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Tomato should read told me.

:rofl::rofl:

Drago

Legendary Member
Just had an intersting thought. Mrs D has come back from visiting a friend who has a double barrelled surname. Now, in days of yore it came about when wealthy women would, upon the death of their husband, revert partially to their maiden name, and thus become Mrs Maidenname-Marriedname.

These days though every bugger is at it. Mrs D's friend went that way when she got married and combined their surnames. Now, this got me thinking. If her children do that they'll have 4 surnames, if their grandchildren do that they'll have 8 surnames, and that would be a bit silly. Even worse if they're Icelandic and have son or dottir the end.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Just had an intersting thought. Mrs D has come back from visiting a friend who has a double barrelled surname. Now, in days of yore it came about when wealthy women would, upon the death of their husband, revert partially to their maiden name, and thus become Mrs Maidenname-Marriedname.

These days though every bugger is at it. Mrs D's friend went that way when she got married and combined their surnames. Now, this got me thinking. If her children do that they'll have 4 surnames, if their grandchildren do that they'll have 8 surnames, and that would be a bit silly. Even worse if they're Icelandic and have son or dottir the end.

Be alright if some of them made it a professional footballers.
Imagine the cost of the letters for the name on the replica shirt

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Even worse if they're Icelandic and have son or dottir the end.
Iceland doesn't work quite like that
1 - names have to be agreed by the Governement
2 - they don't really have surnames - eg. Magnus Magnusson is "Magnus son of Magnus" (wouldn't work in some parts of Britain - Wane Unknownson :becool:)
Telephone directories in Iceland are in first name order so John Davidson would appear under J not D

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.

I think Drago was on the pop again last night.

Top Bottom