The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just got up and feel hungover, but odd seeing as I did not touch a drop yesterday.

Whereas I sank 9 pints of Guinness and feel chipper!

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Just back from a walk along Broadsands with the doggie. There's lots of remains from the American Assault Training Centre, which was active from 1943 - 1944. All of the American troops that landed on D Day did their beach assault training here and on the neighbouring beaches of Saunton, Croyde and Woolacombe.
Quite a poignant area to stroll around.

IMG_20190120_102819412.jpg

Remains of tank traps.

IMG_20190120_102931981.jpg

Remains of pill box used for artillery target practice.

IMG_20190120_103032566.jpg

Remains of walk used for bazooka practice.

IMG_20190120_102827886.jpg

'Dragon's Tooth' tank trap.

View: https://youtu.be/t42b2FhFdwU

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Took the Little Tikes car to put some fuel in it. It hasn't seen a petrol station since October, and I like to keep it brimmed in case of a SAR call out. Managed to squeeze £19.86 into it, but most disappointingly this last tank only returned 68.44 MPG. Clearly all the sitting around idling during the MOT has hurt the fuel figures. Not good.

My records show it's the 4th visit to a petrol station since I bought it in July, and in that time the passenger seat has never had a human posterior resting upon it. It saddens me to see all these 1.5 to 2.0 cars driving about with 3 or 4 empty seats, but the drivers doubtless would whine "but I need 5 seats." Yes, quite. Still, I'm happy to be practicing what I preach.

My planned retirement has been put on hold now thanks to the economic impact of this bloody Brexit nonsense. My pension has taken a hit (not a major one and certainly less impact than if I hadn't gone with an IFA) that will mean the money I'm planning on as an adequate safety net won't be there so I've had to extend my employment for at least two years.
I added up the projected pensions quite a few years ago and figured out this was not going to be enough to keep me after work. Invested in the property rental market and that is giving a much better return than any of the current pensions. Also had an IFA to move old pensions that were doing almost nothing into better schemes. They are still taking a hit with Brexit but not too much to stop my own retirement.
75 days to go (43 working days).

screenman

Legendary Member
I worked out my pensions a long time back and realized I had made a very poor career choice. Luckily I am miserable on days when I am not playing with dents, so I am better off than some.

Drago

Legendary Member
I added up the projected pensions quite a few years ago and figured out this was not going to be enough to keep me after work. Invested in the property rental market and that is giving a much better return than any of the current pensions. Also had an IFA to move old pensions that were doing almost nothing into better schemes. They are still taking a hit with Brexit but not too much to stop my own retirement.

Aye lad, I'm grateful for my pension, but was my savings and a lot of luck profiting on the booning property market of the 90s and early 00s that saved me. Then remarrying another very well insured copper who went down with MS and got a retirement pension, commutation, and 6 figure insurance payout really put jam on the bread. 2 houses, one to live in, one to rent and then eventually move into and sell #1 makes a helluva difference - no mortgage saves the biggest drain on resources, and once you own your own roof you answer to no man.

I'm not going to chuck it away on flash motors and expensive holidays. You cant take it with you, but you can just as easily burn through it all and live for 4 more decades as a pauper.

Last edited:

PaulB

Legendary Member
You can go off people, you know! :dry:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My planned retirement has been put on hold now thanks to the economic impact of this bloody Brexit nonsense. My pension has taken a hit (not a major one and certainly less impact than if I hadn't gone with an IFA) that will mean the money I'm planning on as an adequate safety net won't be there so I've had to extend my employment for at least two years.

The best advice for anyone planning on retiring is to study the figures and see what the difference is between what you need coming in, financially wise, and what the out going are, plus spending vouchers. If they don't add up, then you cannot realistically pack the job in.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I didn't have a choice with my pension after my accident all I get is £464 pa, state pension plus disability retirement allowance £2500 pa.
Got a roof over my head as long as I pay the rent, holidays I had one once :sad:, but I'm better off than a few I see around my area so not complaining :smile:

Top Bottom