The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Almost got round the Yorkshire Grit 200 in daylight yesterday. Didn't ride particularly quickly, just kept faffing to a minimum. Legs are OK but backside a bit sore today - mebbe time for a new saddle.

Car less today and too much salt on the roads to go out on the motorbike so my ambitions today are limited to walking the dog and seeing how much tea I can drink.

To those trying to do the reirement finance calculation let me tell you about a former colleague. He had a stressful job but was pretty well set, independent kids, mortgage paid, no debt. He spent all his earnings on luxury holidays which he claimed he needed to wind down from the stress of his job. It needed someone pointed out to him that he could retire from his stressful job if he was prepared to go four star in Mallorca rather than six star in Bali. He's retired now and wishing he'd done it five years earlier. He'll never get those five years back.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My planned retirement has been put on hold now thanks to the economic impact of this bloody Brexit nonsense. My pension has taken a hit (not a major one and certainly less impact than if I hadn't gone with an IFA) that will mean the money I'm planning on as an adequate safety net won't be there so I've had to extend my employment for at least two years.

Sorry to read this and disappointed for you. One observation from my own experience. The basic cost of living in retirement is significantly lower than working so it is worth looking very closely at your figures. One aspect is we now have time to find the best deals. I do not include expensive holidays in this view - for example we will be in Cambodia and Vietnam for a month partly paid from savings.

Our household income dropped at retirement to 40% of working income. We spent the previous two years learning to live from a reduced income. Once my state pension kicks in we will be at 60% and 75% when my wife's pension kicks in.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Sorry to read this and disappointed for you. One observation from my own experience. The basic cost of living in retirement is significantly lower than working so it is worth looking very closely at your figures. One aspect is we now have time to find the best deals. I do not include expensive holidays in this view - for example we will be in Cambodia and Vietnam for a month partly paid from savings.

Our household income dropped at retirement to 40% of working income. We spent the previous two years learning to live from a reduced income. Once my state pension kicks in we will be at 60% and 75% when my wife's pension kicks in.
Totally agree on the above regarding living costs.
I'm in a fortunate position inasmuch as when we both get our state pensions, our household income will actually be more than when we were both at work.
Don't ask how that came about, nothing was planned, but I've always been a jammy git! :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
Right, been busy from the word go. Muttley walked, barely time to have a quick Forrest before going with Mrs D to one Hospital for an appointment. then home, sling of my lycra and zap across to the opposite town for a physio appointment of my own.

Now busy collapsing and quivering in a heap.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm back, a bit later than planned, 57 miles, over to Cosby and Granny Smiths tea rooms, a slow, hard and cold morning, misty and murky at first but the sun came out and I finished my ride in bright sunshine, its clouded back over now though. It was windy and I seemed to spend most of the ride slogging into a head wind. My new shoes creak, both WD40 and candle grease will quieten things down through most of the ride but by the time I'm home the creak is back, I'm going to have to dig out my spare pair of new cleats and fit them, I've just got to remember where I put them.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Nackered. Housework all day. Whizzed a couple of frozen meals out the freezer for tea............Mrs P saunters in from the gym, swimming and buying a new tablet......."We've got chicken for tonight."

"Good luck with that one dear".......he thinks to himself while trundling off towards the freezer.

Haircut and spinning next..........and there had better be chicken ready when I get home. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom