The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My Bro turns 80 next month.
He has just had a letter to say his state pension has gone up a MASSIVE 25p per week.
Seriously, why do they bother.

He has a very small State Pension? The increase was 8.5%.

Or is it something to do with tax bands?

Or am I missing something else?

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The insurance on my Volvo has gone up over FIVE FOLD.

39 years no claims, its a 20 year old car so anything more than superficial damage and they'd write it off anyway, so I don't buy into this cack about cars being more expensive to repair in this case - they're just bending me over.

When some bell end drove into my Mini in November the final bill was £6000 - the actual repair cost was only £800 of that. The rest was management fees, loan car (they dragged their feet seriously slowly over the repair, taking 3 weeks to even take the Mini away and then a furher 2 weeks to obtain, spray and fit a new rear bumper, doubtless a deliberate ploy to rack up the bill.)

Every time a claim comes up the insurers are falling over themselves to slip the hairy member of profit up each others backsides, and if my example is representative their antics are jacking up claims eight fold. That's why we're being bent over at renewal time, because they're shafting each other and it's getting out of control and someone has to finance this insanity.

Managed to get ours down (in the appropriate thread of the motoring section) by switching insurer.

Saved £90.

Our diversified business model and focused strategy have proved resilient despite high inflation, rising interest rates and an environment of low growth with positive results of £107 million profit before tax. We have shown strong cost disciplines and kept operating costs largely flat and are proud to continue to deliver positive value for members.
Our performance allowed us to return £30 million to eligible members in the form of member bonuses, bringing the total shared to £385 million since 2011.
Members can be confident that we are driving progress and our foundations remain strong.

Impressive - not heard stuff like that since I stopped going to sales pitches for big computer systems when I worked in the IT department of a big company

Do you work in Marketing???

sorry - didn;t mean that really - but your grasp of bollox is amazing!

(P.S. in my day you would have needed to include the word "Leverage" a few times)

Drago

Legendary Member
That certainly affected me to an estimated £30,000 a year.

I did well out of it by a not dissimilar amount due to the diverse holdings in my private pension portfolio. Very glad I went with Zurich and not, say, the Co-Op. People prattle on about police pensions but pound for pound thar massively out performs both of mine (service and injury) combined.

screenman

Legendary Member
Impressive - not heard stuff like that since I stopped going to sales pitches for big computer systems when I worked in the IT department of a big company

Do you work in Marketing???

sorry - didn;t mean that really - but your grasp of bollox is amazing!

(P.S. in my day you would have needed to include the word "Leverage" a few times)

I do in a way work in marketing, but I can also copy and paste.

screenman

Legendary Member
I did well out of it by a not dissimilar amount due to the diverse holdings in my private pension portfolio. Very glad I went with Zurich and not, say, the Co-Op. People prattle on about police pensions but pound for pound thar massively out performs both of mine (service and injury) combined.

is that £30, 000 a year difference, that is one hell of a pension, by now it has cost me in excess of £150,000 of course the country would have benefited from that as I would have paid tax on it.

screenman

Legendary Member

I am quite happy with the Co-op as a bank, no charges through FSB for both of my businesses, however I do not think I would want my pension there, although their instant access savings is not too shabby.

Exlaser2

Veteran
If I was a First Nation Australian I would be allowed to eat a Koala.

I couldn’t find any evidence of that but I did find out that they taste vile because of the toxins in the food they eat .
It would make ill and possibly kill you .
I cannot see anyone queuing up to try one . 😂😂😀😀

Drago

Legendary Member
is that £30, 000 a year difference, that is one hell of a pension, by now it has cost me in excess of £150,000 of course the country would have benefited from that as I would have paid tax on it.

Yeah, 30 large upward tick. Paid for the new house.

Downside is I get arse reamed for tax, but daughter 3 is an accountant and does a good job keeping me tax efficient.

Top Bottom