The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I’ve been up in the roof again today, cleaning off the residue mortar from the pointing I did yesterday, I used a wire wheel on a drill.
I’ve also cleaned the gutters, fascia and soffit boards.
Had a Cornish pasty for lunch.
Coffee time with a homemade biscuit.

Very industrious. But, just in case my wife reads your posts, could you resist posting about it, she will be expecting me to be equally industrious 😊

screenman

Legendary Member
Salut. I had a bit of an incident with my car on the way back from my son'sthis morning. Another came out of a side road and ignored the Give way sign. As I was approaching, I beeped my horn and swerve to avoid it but it kept going and hit my back door. The woman driving it was full of apologies and said she didn't see me. Anyway, I contacted my insurance and the car is going in next Friday for repair. As it is her fault, her insurance will pay for it all, including the car hire whilst it is being done.
As the picture shows, the damage is minimal really as she was only going slow pulling out.
The strange thing is that it is the second time the same thing happened to me, the last time was about 30 years ago.

That is not minimal, by the looks of it the rear arch is damaged as well as the door, a quick guess with the bodyshops I do a bit of paid visiting to around £3,000 They would be looking at a new door, you do not want one full of filler, I have seen cars written off for less, so be in for a shock. I hope I am wrong, as it si not easy to see from one picture, body repair is part of my business, Paintless dent repair, slightly different from pudding and paint.

pawl

Legendary Member
There is a problem in that they may be the only person in a large family that has a job that pays much money

and so they need to keep the job and keepo earning the money

They may not even realise that a lot of the people that "persuade" to do stuff may actually be very vulnerable

They may even believ that all Western people are very rich and can afford it - or if they can;t then the Welfare State will look after them

but at the end of the day they are doing something that they can see is immoral by any reasobale moral system promoted by and religion I know - and most societies
hence they are not innocent

However, given they may NEED that job I do not go as far as some and launch a full sacel abusive tirade and call them all sorts of name
The company they work for is a different matter - but if that company ends up having to pay more people because a few of their calls end up taking 15-30 minutes and tie up an operator when there was never any chance that they would profit from it
Then that is fine by me

I should note - at one point I was rather unoccupied - bad weather so no cycling and all that - and started getting a few scam calls. I kept them on the line for as long as possible and made it clear at the end that they never had a chance until they hung up

At that time the number of apparent scam calls just kept increasing
The reasons are clearly unknown but I suspect that some of the scam centres retaliated by putting my name on a "known possible target" list and passing it to a competitor
hence I just got more and more calls.
To see what happened I started just hanging up.

Over time the number of calls dropped off until I hardly got any for some months rather than several a week

Of course, that might be co-incidence - but I do suspect that there are lists of possible targets and they get passed around - and some of them put people on the list to be passed around to get back to people who annoy them

maybe

My sister had a call saying they had noticed a problem with her windows ten and she should switch on her computer She lived in sheltered housing and didn’t have a computer and get in touch with the council who deals with problems in the building She may have been 91at the time her mobility might have been dodgy but her mental faculties wasn’t

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
WE ARE A GENERATION THAT WILL NEVER COME BACK.
A generation that walked to school and then walked back.
A generation that did their homework alone to get out asap to play in the street.
A generation that spent all their free time in the streets with their Friends.
A generation that played hide and seek when dark.
A generation that made mud cakes.
A generation that collected sports cards.
A generation that found, collected and washed & Returned empty coke bottles to the local grocery store for 5 cents each , then bought a Mountain Dew and candy bar with the money.
A generation that made paper toys with their bare hands.
A generation who bought vinyl albums to play on record players.
A generation that collected photos and albums of clippings of their life experiences as a Kid.
A generation that played board games and cards on rainy days.
A generation whose TV went off at midnight after playing the National Anthem.
A generation that had parents who were there.
A generation that laughed under the covers in bed so parents didn't know we were still awake.
A generation that is passing and unfortunately it will never return no matter how hard we try.
I loved Growing up when I did. it was the best of times.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A quick good morning to everyone.
A pleasant lazy day is in store.
Weather is set to be good so I will sit on the patio later.
Daughter did a lovely meal yesterday of salmon en croute, baby boiled spuds and veg. She 'plated' another meal which I will enjoy either later or maybe tomorrow.
Have a good day peeps.

screenman

Legendary Member
WE ARE A GENERATION THAT WILL NEVER COME BACK.
A generation that walked to school and then walked back.
A generation that did their homework alone to get out asap to play in the street.
A generation that spent all their free time in the streets with their Friends.
A generation that played hide and seek when dark.
A generation that made mud cakes.
A generation that collected sports cards.
A generation that found, collected and washed & Returned empty coke bottles to the local grocery store for 5 cents each , then bought a Mountain Dew and candy bar with the money.
A generation that made paper toys with their bare hands.
A generation who bought vinyl albums to play on record players.
A generation that collected photos and albums of clippings of their life experiences as a Kid.
A generation that played board games and cards on rainy days.
A generation whose TV went off at midnight after playing the National Anthem.
A generation that had parents who were there.
A generation that laughed under the covers in bed so parents didn't know we were still awake.
A generation that is passing and unfortunately it will never return no matter how hard we try.
I loved Growing up when I did. it was the best of times.
A generation that did not make a good job of nurturing the next one in many cases. Something I read the other day about young kids going to school in a 4x4 not many pre teenage can drive, kids with 65inch tv in bedrooms, how did they get that back from the shops, kids showing no respect, well that comes from the parents. I hated my younger days and have no nice memories of them. My parents definitely were not there, both worked full time as did a lot of parents on my estate.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A generation that did not make a good job of nurturing the next one in many cases. Something I read the other day about young kids going to school in a 4x4 not many pre teenage can drive, kids with 65inch tv in bedrooms, how did they get that back from the shops, kids showing no respect, well that comes from the parents. I hated my younger days and have no nice memories of them. My parents definitely were not there, both worked full time as did a lot of parents on my estate.

I think most did the best they could with the lot they were given. Like most generations. No parents are perfect abd we all make mistakes and wish we had done things differently with hindsight.

Lots of us have some bad memories from those days, but they were still far better days than today.

And I don't think we can lay all the blame at the doorstep of our parents or of us. Innovations, inventions, and general attitudes not to mention successive governments play a part.

It's not a simple problem to lay at any one parties feet.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good morning all from a cloudy and rainy West Sussex.
I'm not sure how the day is going to go, it all depends on the weather as to how long or stay.
Yesterday was lovely. Millie really enjoyed her long run on the beach at Felpham. Fish and chips for tea overlooking the beach late afternoon and then a couple of ales in the pub/hotel we are staying in

Top Bottom