The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'm back from walking the dog, I didn't quite beat the rain. The cats aren't looking too pleased with the weather. Two of them were on the back doorstep waiting to be let in, and Harry is hiding from the rain somewhere in the garden.

Mart44

Über Member
What's that?

U3A stands for 'University of the Third Age'. It's for people mostly over retiring age but I think 50 is the starting age, They run walking groups amongst many other activities and I join in walks once a week if the weather is OK. People of all fitness levels take part but I like to think I'm right up there being a still quite energetic cyclist. :smile: There is a cycling group as well. I've considered joining it but I only have so much time to spare.

https://www.u3a.org.uk/about

numbnuts

Legendary Member
We just had new fire bricks for the wood burner delivered today. New ones these days are made from vermiculite. It was cheaper to buy the bricks all ready cut and ready to just put into the burner than it was to buy a sheet of the stuff and cut it ourselves. How does that work?
Not complaining as it makes it easier for us.
They import some poor guy from Poland pay him pittance so he can claim housing and child benefit from hard working tax payers.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yesterday they were forecasting rain on a Biblical scale for today.
Now they say light rain this morning and clear this afternoon.
It is currently dry........
Can I DISLIKE that 3 times please.
My phone (BBC) forcast light showers. So I decided to play golf.
5th hole we got 'your' Biblical deluge. Umbrella and wet suit.....I was soaked to the skin.
Do I sue you, BBC or god ?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
U3A stands for 'University of the Third Age'. It's for people mostly over retiring age but I think 50 is the starting age, They run walking groups amongst many other activities and I join in walks once a week if the weather is OK. People of all fitness levels take part but I like to think I'm right up there being a still quite energetic cyclist. :smile: There is a cycling group as well. I've considered joining it but I only have so much time to spare.

https://www.u3a.org.uk/about

We are in the process of setting up a local group. It's a great deal of work. Our launch meeting is September 4th. I could be wrong but I don't think there is a minimum age, my understanding is semi or fully retired is the criteria.

As for being for old people? Our group is bursting with energy and far from old........even if the years are passing.

I seem to remember someone, from that side o'Border, who said the sun always shines on the righteous.
I am self righteous so I occasionaly have sun. My problem is with the pool gods who deny me any peace. Wednesday Arab market in big town for bent fruit followed by grocery shop then home after lunch. Took beachware and beer cooler to the pool and sat down on pool inflatable with beer and book. Immediately started to rain. I hid under a tree thinking it would be over in a mo. It was so I smugly got back on the inflatable. Needless to say it began raining again within 2 minutes.

We are in the process of setting up a local group. It's a great deal of work. Our launch meeting is September 4th. I could be wrong but I don't think there is a minimum age, my understanding is semi or fully retired is the criteria.

As for being for old people? Our group is bursting with energy and far from old........even if the years are passing.
There seems to be a growth of associations in the UK. I think it's very good for the community. It's normal here in the provinces, I don't know about the cities, maybe the same.
There is a local cycling clique, its not a club but a loose association of oldsters who know their limits. Sort of an 18 mph club with occasional challenges after lunches featuring wine intake.
There is a young bloke near here who is a herpetologist and all round naturalist of this region. Him and friends take people on snake safaris for free. They publish work between them operate a website for all things nature in the Vienne.

Top Bottom