The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
In Waterfields bakery just now.
Me..... do you sell scones?
Her....yes
Me.....oh, I can't see them.
Her.....we haven't got any.
Me.....oh, so if I come back in the morning you will have some?
Her......no, we haven't had any for ages Please say its not me šŸ¤”
Itā€™s like that old song.....ā€Yes, we have no bananasā€. :laugh:

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
In Waterfields bakery just now.
Me..... do you sell scones?
Her....yes
Me.....oh, I can't see them.
Her.....we haven't got any.
Me.....oh, so if I come back in the morning you will have some?
Her......no, we haven't had any for ages Please say its not me šŸ¤”
Me at bakery - 'Have you got any scones left?'
Baker - 'Yes'.
Me - 'Well, you shouldn't have made so many then!'

classic33

Leg End Member
My 70th birthday is coming up next month and you are very welcome to buy me one as a nice present. :whistle: šŸŽ‚:okay:
Here you go...
scalextric-velodrome-cycling-set-team_360_dc2f2d88be3a69799cfc17baa3b1fd19.jpg

Dave7

Legendary Member
When I see the picture others put up I see even more that most of the towns in Lincolnshire are a total mess.
Sadly this is the case with many of our seaside towns.
Some years ago we stayed in Margate a couple of times while I did some safety work on civic centre......that was so depressing.
New Brighton, where I was dragged up is small and had some serious money thrown at it......you could do a lot worse.

12boy

Guru
Eldest son whose wife will have our first grandchild soon is coming upon Saturday and going home the next day. 450 mile round trip for a 24 hour visit. It's his last chance before the baby and the new job he starts next week. We've had a couple of socially distant picnics with them where the four of us traveled 500 + miles for a 3 hour visit. My brother in law died of throat cancer after a hellish 16 months a few weeks ago and my niece and her husband drove nonstop from Virginia to Albuquerque NM, about 1800 miles to be there while he passed away and then drove nonstop back. Hopefully between the baby, my wife's cancer situation and the weather I can make the 1500 mile round trip to see her soon. Mrs 12 would love to go since they are very close but it would be too tough for her. We all live too damn far apart in these Covid times. Well it's breakfast and a ride for me then the last of the fallen branch trash to the balefill. On a more cheerful note a lot of stuff survived the blizzard we had recently, and the potted plants in the coldframes did really well.. The giant horned rats (mule deer) have been muching on a sweet potato vine in one of the posts so I put a couple of loaded mousetraps in the pot to give them a little surprise. We will see...
Be well and suck the juice out of every day.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm here.

Slept like a baby last night. Awake by 3.30 today.:sad::sad:
That's the reason why I started doing what I do... I'd rather go to bed at 03:00, go to sleep at 04:00 and get up at 10:00 (now that I can) than go to bed before midnight and be awake again by 03:00 - 04:00!

I hope that you manage to sleep through tonight.

I went to bed 30 minutes earlier than usual last night but left my alarm set for the same time to give myself 6.5 hours of potential sleeping time. I still didn't get it though - someone texted me before the alarm went off and that woke me up after 5.5 hours. I'll have a 15-20 minute nap in the next couple of hours and that will see me through to this evening. I'll see if I can get to sleep before 03:00 tonight.

screenman

Legendary Member
Sadly this is the case with many of our seaside towns.
Some years ago we stayed in Margate a couple of times while I did some safety work on civic centre......that was so depressing.
New Brighton, where I was dragged up is small and had some serious money thrown at it......you could do a lot worse.

We love New Brighton, lovely place.

ColinJ

I also slowed down on my bimble yesterday as there was a lady standing at the side of the road with her bike. I thought she maybe had a mechanical but turned out she was just waiting on a friend. Always nice to check though.
It doesn't happen often, but a few years ago a cyclist slowed down to ask if I needed help when I was trying to sort out a punctured tyre on a grass verge. I thanked him and said that I would be fine, but then immediately changed my mind...

I had forgotten to take a pair of reading glasses out with me so I had been struggling to see what I was doing trying to remove the sliver of glass that had caused the flat. He hopped off his bike and got it out for me in seconds. He offered to do the rest of the repair, but that was not a problem for me so I thanked him and sent him on his way.

Just in case you may be thinking of travelling by bus in Manchester.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-54163293
I don't trust wild animals... What if that snake suddenly decided that he was a threat and started constricting his neck! :eek:

Speaking of wild animals and attacks... I don't think I mentioned it at the time (but with my dodgy memory, I MAY have done! :whistle:) - the other evening I was coming down a steep descent into Todmorden and saw something lying in the road ahead. I couldn't really concentrate on it because my attention was focussed on avoiding high speed collisions with dry stone walls at the time... :laugh: I swerved around the object only for it to suddenly come to life! A hawk of some sort flew off in one direction, and a rather mangled pigeon took off in the opposite direction, shedding feathers as it went. I don't know if the hawk went back for a second attack or whether the pigeon got away with it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Lots of chat to catch up I see. I will be back later. Five miles from collected a savage piece of glass in the sidewall. Even a tyre boot and tube wasn't fixing that especially on very expensive carbon wheels.

Texted Mrs P to say I was walking back and would be late. She rescued me. šŸ‘šŸ˜€

First time ever I've failed to complete a ride. šŸ˜­

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
When I see the picture others put up I see even more that most of the towns in Lincolnshire are a total mess.

Although the area we live in is good, in general, the North East gets a bad press. A few years ago, we visited Mablethorpe, made me realise that Seaham, South Shields, Whitley Bay etc are actually quite smart, in comparison. ;)

ColinJ

Even a tyre boot and tube wasn't fixing that...
Do you mean using the old tube as an extra boot? I have never had to try it, but thought that if I got really stuck, I would try ripping the valve off the punctured tube and using that as a thick liner between the new tube and the damaged tyre. It might work?

Obviously some tyre damage is so extensive that a tube would always burst through the hole(s).

Top Bottom