The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
That sounds good.....Will try that.
Thanks.

And casseroles are easy. You can just throw anything into them. If you like peppers, or mushrooms then chuck them in as well. You can't really go wrong.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Good morning all.
It's misty outside at the moment with rain forecast for later on this afternoon.
Now that the Doctor has his teeth into me, I have an appointment with the vampires at Barnet hospital this morning for more blood letting. Checking up on the liver and kidney function, cholesterol and whatever else they want to check. Everything was tickerty boo last time, but they are keeping an eye on me.
It gives me a chance to get out on the bike again for a few miles.

Had my annual blood tests about 3 months ago and had a clean bill of health. Cholesterol was down on previous year but I attribute that to major dietary changes rather than the Statins I now take.

I am still very much time-out on statins and am currently wrangling with the surgery to come off of them.

Also, I had my usual thyroid tests at the same time, and I am slighly over on Free T4 so they unilaterally cut my Levothyroxine dosage down and now I feel fairly tired all the time. All research indicates that the range is advisory and that some patients will function better just outside the range with very minimal possible side-effects. Possibly, an uphill battle is looming to get my old dose reinstated.

welsh dragon

Had my annual blood tests about 3 months ago and had a clean bill of health. Cholesterol was down on previous year but I attribute that to major dietary changes rather than the Statins I now take.

I am still very much time-out on statins and am currently wrangling with the surgery to come off of them.

Also, I had my usual thyroid tests at the same time, and I am slighly over on Free T4 so they unilaterally cut my Levothyroxine dosage down and now I feel fairly tired all the time. All research indicates that the range is advisory and that some patients will function better just outside the range with very minimal possible side-effects. Possibly, an uphill battle is looming to get my old dose reinstated.

Mr WD and most of the village were put on statins by the local quack. Every single person said how ill they felt and all of them stopped taking them.

Just had an expected phone call from the GP

well - when I say expected - I was told "in the afternoon" and the online system said 3:30 - 3:45

but she rang at about 11:00

good job I was in!

anyway - I wanted to talk about my blood test - why is the iron so low and has been for so long in spite of taking iron tablets??

I have a gastro appointment - but not until the very end of July - to check for Coeliac Disease - so basically they are assuming that will sort it all out and I have to wait until then

OK - it is not urgent as there are not physical symptoms so non-urgent is right
but after that they will probably want a biopcy or something which will be another wait
after which I may have to go on a gluten free diet for life

given current delays I have told my wife that she doesn;t need to worry about working out how to make gluten free gravy for the turkey at Christmas
(just to note - I cook everything except the gravy because there is only one way to make it and my way is wrong - like Scouse)

welsh dragon

So Mr WD is still with us, but what about the rest ?

Some have not faired as well I am afraid. Whether that's because of statins or other things like covid or the vaccine or other illness 🤒

Oh wow . I thought beavers could only be kept in enclosures at the moment. I hadn’t realised that they gone on to the the next stage of reintroduction in Scotland.

There’s official and unofficial beavers in Scotland. Official ones have been released as part of government licensed and carefully monitored schemes in Argyll and more recently Speyside. These are considerably outnumbered by the unofficial ones in the Tay catchment that got there by means unknown. There’s probably over a thousand of them in the Tay catchment by now.

Top Bottom