The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think most did the best they could with the lot they were given. Like most generations. No parents are perfect abd we all make mistakes and wish we had done things differently with hindsight.

Lots of us have some bad memories from those days, but they were still far better days than today.

And I don't think we can lay all the blame at the doorstep of our parents or of us. Innovations, inventions, and general attitudes not to mention successive governments play a part.

It's not a simple problem to lay at any one parties feet.

Government =older generation, I just think previous generations in this country have a lot to answer for. My kids had a far better childhood than I did.

screenman

Legendary Member
One can is one too many.

I think you are right on that one, a big clear out happening here. I am looking to downsize in a years time and the work starts today.

Exlaser2

Veteran
Morning all .
A very novel experience for me is going to happen this morning for the first time this year .
My daughter has persuaded/blackmailed me to go on a short bike ride. Seems like a good idea as neither us have cycled for six months and especially as neither of us want to go out with Mrs exlaser as she has been cycling regularly ( including club rides) and has a habit of dragging us along too fast for our fitness. 😀

Anyway wish me luck . I might make it back alive 😂😀

Same here......lots of mine are gifts from family eg grandad/ happy golfing etc.
Same problem with drinking glasses (which I never use).!

Yes - we seem to have about 40 champagne glasses
only 7 come from me - 6 Waterford Crystal ones inherited from my Mum and Lottery WInner one that we used when our syndicate won the lottery (it was a big syndicate so that cuts the amount down for each person!!!)
Maybe I was not supposed to keep the glass but anyway!!!

the other ones are of various sets my wife brought with her
for some reason we are not allowed to take any to the Charity shop

Anyway - kids stayed over last night - all fed (that will eat anything) and I am about to insist on them getting dressed

Then we are going on a bug hunt in a nearby wood (probably SPike Island in Widnes) - probably!

classic33

Leg End Member
WE ARE A GENERATION THAT WILL NEVER COME BACK.
A generation that walked to school and then walked back.
A generation that did their homework alone to get out asap to play in the street.
A generation that spent all their free time in the streets with their Friends.
A generation that played hide and seek when dark.
A generation that made mud cakes.
A generation that collected sports cards.
A generation that found, collected and washed & Returned empty coke bottles to the local grocery store for 5 cents each , then bought a Mountain Dew and candy bar with the money.
A generation that made paper toys with their bare hands.
A generation who bought vinyl albums to play on record players.
A generation that collected photos and albums of clippings of their life experiences as a Kid.
A generation that played board games and cards on rainy days.
A generation whose TV went off at midnight after playing the National Anthem.
A generation that had parents who were there.
A generation that laughed under the covers in bed so parents didn't know we were still awake.
A generation that is passing and unfortunately it will never return no matter how hard we try.
I loved Growing up when I did. it was the best of times.
Homework was done in the local library, now gone. Or in the classroom on the day it was to be handed in.
Empty bottles could be found round the back of the shop, and returned a second time. Sometimes a third or fourth.
Vinyl record's bought as a kid I still have.

Top Bottom