England : East Yorkshire The ride through nowhere to somewhere - Spurn Head, Sat Sept 16

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I won't be able to make the ride, but one of my favourite cafe stops is Amy's at Patrington, very reasonably priced cafe, open till 2pm but also has a fully licensed bar, normally with a few sensible real ales (under 4%) at £3 (iirc) a pint :okay:. I normally leave my bike by the window to keep an eye on it, but you can hide them down the side if there's a few of you.

Thanks for the tip. I did spot that Amy's had transitioned from a cafe into a cafe bar, but it appeared to be shut on Saturday morning so I wasn't sure if that was closed at that time of day or closed for refurb. I think it'll be too early in the ride to be thinking of a pint, but I'll be happy for the group to decide the wheres and whens of refuelling stops.

Speaking of pubs, in reply to @MarkF 's earlier query my findings from Saturday were -
Patrington - Station looked smart and well maintained, slightly off route, didn't go in. Have had a decent pint and sandwich there in the past.
The Holderness had seen better days when I was last out there 7 or 8 years ago, and looks to have only gone further downhill since. Looked run down inside and out.
Hildyard looked marginally better, but not enough to tempt me in.
Welwick - Coach and Horses - good to see it open again, looks like they are involved in lots of community events, food smelled good, nice enough interior, if a bit plain, decent selection of ales on including a couple of local brews. Friendly.
Easington - Marquis of Granby. Worth a look. Clean and tidy. 4 good ales on. No atmosphere but where has at barely lunchtime on a Saturday?
Kilnsea - Crown & Anchor - this ought to be a fantastic pub, given it's remoteness, the amazing views over the Humber/Spurn and the fact that it has a real fire and lots of outdoor seating. Unfortunately it doesn't do much in the way of real ale/cider, I'm told the food is ok at best, and it's not the most (nor least) welcoming. Worth an outdoor pint everytime just for the view though.
Hollym - I'd tried to visit this fa few times when I worked out that way, based on it winning CAMRA village pub of the year 3 or 4 years running, but always found it shut in the daytime. They were open on Saturday afternoon but sadly I can only assume it has gone downhill - the whitewashed exterior is attractive, it's in a nice quiet location, it was clean and the landlady was very welcoming, but only 2 ales on (compared to the 10+ advertised on their presumably out of date website) and completely dead. Beer garden was advertised but didn't seem to be in use. A shame as it's another that could/should be a cracker.
Withernsea - No time/inclination to stop. All the pubs in With were dumps when I used to work out there. Looks like the Marine (renamed Captain William) has undergone a refurb and might be worth a try - it's in a nice enough location at least. The others looked rough as ever.
Burstwick - Hare & Hounds - nothing special but it has real ale on and is friendly. My pint of some kind of American-style IPA was very tasty. Suspect it gets quite rowdy on a weekend judging by the look of the dance floor and the lack of local alternatives.

There is no public right of way between half way down Newlands Lane and Cherry Cobb Sands Lane - it's a farmers land; there is a gate at both ends, often closed and locked at the latter.
This is true - apologies, I thought I had gone down Newlands Lane but can see now that it was Bellcroft road that I took, as per @Pale Rider 's route. Thanks for pointing out my error.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Thanks for the tip. I did spot that Amy's had transitioned from a cafe into a cafe bar, but it appeared to be shut on Saturday morning so I wasn't sure if that was closed at that time of day or closed for refurb. I think it'll be too early in the ride to be thinking of a pint, but I'll be happy for the group to decide the wheres and whens of refuelling stops.

I was in Amy's on Saturday around 1:30 & it was rather busy. Too early for a pint??? Never :laugh:

Buck

Guru
I don't think I'll be able to join this ride as family diary currently require my services elsewhere!

Looks a good ride - if I can wiggle out of the above I'll update here!

MarkF

Guru
Speaking of pubs, in reply to @MarkF 's earlier query my findings from Saturday were -
Patrington - Station looked smart and well maintained, slightly off route, didn't go in. Have had a decent pint and sandwich there in the past.
The Holderness had seen better days when I was last out there 7 or 8 years ago, and looks to have only gone further downhill since. Looked run down inside and out.
Hildyard looked marginally better, but not enough to tempt me in.
Welwick - Coach and Horses - good to see it open again, looks like they are involved in lots of community events, food smelled good, nice enough interior, if a bit plain, decent selection of ales on including a couple of local brews. Friendly.
Easington - Marquis of Granby. Worth a look. Clean and tidy. 4 good ales on. No atmosphere but where has at barely lunchtime on a Saturday?
Kilnsea - Crown & Anchor - this ought to be a fantastic pub, given it's remoteness, the amazing views over the Humber/Spurn and the fact that it has a real fire and lots of outdoor seating. Unfortunately it doesn't do much in the way of real ale/cider, I'm told the food is ok at best, and it's not the most (nor least) welcoming. Worth an outdoor pint everytime just for the view though.
Hollym - I'd tried to visit this fa few times when I worked out that way, based on it winning CAMRA village pub of the year 3 or 4 years running, but always found it shut in the daytime. They were open on Saturday afternoon but sadly I can only assume it has gone downhill - the whitewashed exterior is attractive, it's in a nice quiet location, it was clean and the landlady was very welcoming, but only 2 ales on (compared to the 10+ advertised on their presumably out of date website) and completely dead. Beer garden was advertised but didn't seem to be in use. A shame as it's another that could/should be a cracker.
Withernsea - No time/inclination to stop. All the pubs in With were dumps when I used to work out there. Looks like the Marine (renamed Captain William) has undergone a refurb and might be worth a try - it's in a nice enough location at least. The others looked rough as ever.
Burstwick - Hare & Hounds - nothing special but it has real ale on and is friendly. My pint of some kind of American-style IPA was very tasty. Suspect it gets quite rowdy on a weekend judging by the look of the dance floor and the lack of local alternatives.
Wowee, s.e.v.e.n pub stops, my type of ride out, I'll wait for a good moment to ask MrsF.:okay:

Wowee, s.e.v.e.n pub stops, my type of ride out, I'll wait for a good moment to ask MrsF.:okay:
Haha! 7 pints on a near 100 mile ride would have been pretty heroic...I have to come clean and confess I didn't try an ale in Welwick or Easington, and you'll note I didn't even stop into any in Patrington or Withernsea. 3 pints spread over the afternoon was plenty for me. I can't promise there'll be (m)any pub stops on the 16th - that'll be for the group to decide. Though if you want to come along and try every pub we pass en route I'll be happy to watch/take photos/ring an ambulance!

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm confirmed as in

Pleased to hear that.

Andy and I are doing the ride anyway as part of my weekend visit to his patch, but it would be nice if we are joined by a few others.

I expect @MarkF was posting at least partly tongue in cheek, but it is a forum bike ride not a forum pub crawl.

We may well slow or stop briefly for points of interest, but the only longer stop will be for lunch.

I should have said in the OP no one gets dropped, so there may be a regroup or two, but there's no proper hills to regroup at the top of, and as it looks like there will only be a handful of us, I anticpate we will more or less stay together.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Got my routes planned. The ultimate plan is to ride up to Brough from Leicester on Friday (200km) and stay with my sister , do the ride Saturday (going to turn it into a 100 miler) and then ride back to Leicester on Sunday (Shorter route than Friday so not quite 200km) . Since I am bringing what little gear I will need with me I am claiming this as my first tour :laugh:.

I do have train options between Leicester and Lincoln if I need them, but fingers crossed I will ride the whole way.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Got my routes planned. The ultimate plan is to ride up to Brough from Leicester on Friday (200km) and stay with my sister , do the ride Saturday (going to turn it into a 100 miler) and then ride back to Leicester on Sunday (Shorter route than Friday so not quite 200km) . Since I am bringing what little gear I will need with me I am claiming this as my first tour :laugh:.

I do have train options between Leicester and Lincoln if I need them, but fingers crossed I will ride the whole way.

When we meet, I was going to ask how you clock up your large annual mileage.

It's now a bit clearer.

No doubt you've made plans, but lengthening our ride to 100 miles shouldn't be that complicated.

Riding from Brough to and from the start/finish should get you close to 40, which means you will only have 10 or fewer to find.

If it's just us three, we might be able to slip in a few extra miles somewhere on the circuit.

Alternatively, I expect @EasyPeez will be riding home to Cottingham from the finish, so you could get another few miles riding with him.

There's still time for anyone else wanting to ride to sign up.

I was going to say the weather forecast is good, which it was yeasterday, but it is now indicating rain.

No doubt that will change again - more than once - from now until Saturday.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
When we meet, I was going to ask how you clock up your large annual mileage.

It's now a bit clearer.

No doubt you've made plans, but lengthening our ride to 100 miles shouldn't be that complicated.

Riding from Brough to and from the start/finish should get you close to 40, which means you will only have 10 or fewer to find.

If it's just us three, we might be able to slip in a few extra miles somewhere on the circuit.

Alternatively, I expect @EasyPeez will be riding home to Cottingham from the finish, so you could get another few miles riding with him.

There's still time for anyone else wanting to ride to sign up.

I was going to say the weather forecast is good, which it was yeasterday, but it is now indicating rain.

No doubt that will change again - more than once - from now until Saturday.

For the Saturday I've got enough miles planned I think, I've based that on the forum ride being 50 miles.

Most of my mileage comes from commuting. I'm lucky enough to have our warehouse a couple of miles away from our office so I get an extra ride every day going between the two :laugh:

I clocked up nearly 90 miles riding in from Cottingham and back, plus a bit of extra faffing and route-finding as I went around, so riding in from Brough and returning thence will definitely take you up around the 100 mile mark @Supersuperleeds

I'll be riding there and back from Cott again on Saturday if anyone wants to meet up with me en route to Paull.

Any other takers - @NorthernDave , @User46386 , @Slioch , @growingvegetables , @MarkF ?

MarkF

Guru
Sorry, my presence is demanded at Saltaire festival, disappointed as I would have loved to have come. Any other time.....:okay:

Top Bottom