The right food / diet so I dont loose weight!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for all the info guys. Like Andy, Im about 5 foot 10 and weigh only 8 stone. I think i just have light bones or something. People are surprised where I put all my food. I dont look annorexic or anything like that! So when people do realise what i weigh, they are suprised!

plank

log a few days diet on http://www.foodfocus.co.uk/ It's worth the effort.

It's almost always a surprise when you do, espically when you consider roughly an hours hard cycling is 1000 kcal.

I don't think the weight maintenance is as simple as calories in = calories out but if you are drasticly undereating you will have no chance. Undereating will leave you feeling tired and ill and probably end up with injury.

In terms of diet you can't go wrong with eating whole foods. Personally I am trying to avoid wheat, sugar and trans fats while eating as much as 5000kcal a day. Remember fats aren't bad for you (apart from trans fats) and they are useful while trying to eat enough as the contain over double the amount of calories per gram than carbs or protein. Another food which gets bad press which is fine to eat are eggs, sometimes I eat 6 in one go!

Supplements are only worth considering with a solid diet as a base, and that does not mean lots of pasta and energy drinks!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
onlineamiga said:
OK many people start up cycling to get healthier and loose weight. I am actually underweight already. I naturally am. I might make a few jealous by saying this. But I can eat for England and not put on any weight. My metabolism is just high. Im so lucky. I can eat the entire cake shop and not suffer for it :tongue:

<throws stale buns at onlineamiga in disgust>

My sister is like you. It shouldn't be allowed.

You'll have guessed, I'm not like that...;)

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
I am 180cms tall and weigh 91kgs (5'11" & 200lbs in old money). I will be 36 in March.
BMI is just over 28.

To get to the mid point in the BMI chart for my height I need to lose 20kg which is a little under three stone !

I need to get on my bike more :biggrin:

shippers

I'm with amnesia on this on. 6'2, 16 stone 7. Half a stone short of "Obese", but not really in a wobby way. Although I've never really been envious of you slender types I'm double the weight of one chap on here!

Anyway, "Rego" products look quite good for the weight maintainer. Keep an eye on the weight as you go, but don't get obsessive about things.

MatLeMas

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm new to cycling. I've got the same concerns as the OP but at 6'2" and 14 stone I'm in between a few of the guys posting here.

OP - just remember that, in simple terms, if you take on the same amount of calories you burn then your weight will stay the same. What you do need to realise though, is that exercise can increase your metabolism at rest i.e. if you burn 600kcals on the bike your body might use an additional 900kcals throughout the day. (note - this isn't a ratio, just a for instance).

I've taken up cycling to introduce some cardio (riding HIIT style 2 or 3 times a week) to my normal (weightlifting) exercise regime. I don't mind if I loose a bit of weight but I certainly don't want to loose any muscle mass.

If you start calorie counting and weighing yourself weekly then it's easy to make dietary adjustments to compensate for what you're using on the bike.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
MatLeMas said:
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm new to cycling. I've got the same concerns as the OP but at 6'2" and 14 stone I'm in between a few of the guys posting here.

Same as OP? 6'2" and 14 stone looks like a little over-weight to me, but not enough to worry about it in the short term. I'd look to loose a stone in the next 12 months, but not worry too much if I failed.

Me?
6" and 11 stone 10. Lost about 6-8 pounds in the last 12 months. Not looking to loose any more.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Im 6' 2", at the start of this year I weighed about 13 st 12 lbs and still looked skinny. I now weigh 13 st 2 lbs (as measured yesterday morning), look marginally skinnier. If you go by BMI then 14st for 6' 2" is verging on its overweight rating, but tbh its not a good measure.

I didnt really make an effort to lose weight, I ate more frequent and ate to be able to train better, and it just came off, and I feel better, im guessing its because previously I did no exercise. You might find the same happens with some slight modification to your diet.

Top Bottom