The search for a waterproof hat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm continuing my search for a reasonable waterproof hat. So far the best I found is a leather 'outback' style hat which obviously adds to my already dashing appearance, and keeps my very dry and snug in the rain.
However it can be a bit toasty in summer, so for my Christmas present I've been looking at alternatives for warm weather. Our region can have sudden and fairly severe downpours so something waterproof is required.

So far I found 'Outback Jack' and the 'Dorfmann Pacific' which could fit the bill oif they are waterproof. hey say they are waxed cotton which would seem to imply this is so. If anyone else has used something like this I'd be interested to know how waterproof they really are..

Does anyone else use a similar hat or is it just dashing tomb raiding adventures and ageing tree hugging hippies?

I'm open to other hat designs, but I think there's a reason people who lived outdoors, like cowboys and drovers like wide brims

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
How about a normal hat with a shower cap over the top?

:okay:

freiston

Veteran
I haven't used it yet, but recently I bought a sou'wester - long enough at the sides and especially the back to stop water running down your neck, an upturn of the brim at the front creates a drainage channel to keep the rain from running down into your eyes, and you can turn your head to see behind you. I got one in dark blue because of my sartorial sensibilities ;)

Top Bottom