The search for a waterproof hat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Another way round it is to combine a jacket with a hood plus a peaked cap, which will hold the hood in place when you look around.
You are so ‘down wid da kids’ deptford :-)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Take a look at golfing waterproof caps.

I had a look, certainly worth thinking about for commuting and when I don't want the Tree hugging hippy vibe. I like the way my leather hat keeps my head and neck are completely dry in the rain though.

I use a Vietnam war era pattern US army Bush hat treated with Nikwax.
So you just grabbed a regular cotton hat and sprayed Nikwax on it?

I suppose it stops the commie tears making your head wet too...

Actually, when I looked that up on image search I found this, which may be a good solution if I can find one in Germany.

How slowly do you think I ride?

Many here have a Akubra or similar for outdoors. You can get a waterproof cover although I've rarely seen one used. Even when the hat gets wet it keeps off most of the rain.

I think, strictly speaking my current hat is an Akubra pattern, and it is perfect. Leather gats a bit warm in summer though.

You are so ‘down wid da kids’ deptford :-)

Nevber mind that: where do you get hoodies for Marmosets?

How about a normal hat with a shower cap over the top?

:okay:

Brilliant: effective and sartorially refined. We can close the thread now...

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I haven't used it yet, but recently I bought a sou'wester - long enough at the sides and especially the back to stop water running down your neck, an upturn of the brim at the front creates a drainage channel to keep the rain from running down into your eyes, and you can turn your head to see behind you. I got one in dark blue because of my sartorial sensibilities ;)

In the days before nylon cagoules a sou'wester and cycle cape was the best available waterproof combo for mountain walking.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, one of these treated with Nikwax...

81HIwU9kPCL._UX385_.jpg

Mine is very battered now, but the more nacked it gets, the more comfortable it becomes and the better it looks.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I'm continuing my search for a reasonable waterproof hat. So far the best I found is a leather 'outback' style hat which obviously adds to my already dashing appearance, and keeps my very dry and snug in the rain.
However it can be a bit toasty in summer, so for my Christmas present I've been looking at alternatives for warm weather. Our region can have sudden and fairly severe downpours so something waterproof is required.

So far I found 'Outback Jack' and the 'Dorfmann Pacific' which could fit the bill oif they are waterproof. hey say they are waxed cotton which would seem to imply this is so. If anyone else has used something like this I'd be interested to know how waterproof they really are..

Does anyone else use a similar hat or is it just dashing tomb raiding adventures and ageing tree hugging hippies?

I'm open to other hat designs, but I think there's a reason people who lived outdoors, like cowboys and drovers like wide brims

I have a Dorfman Pacific hat which looks just like that Outback Jack one. I have had it for about four years now I think and it is good in the summer.

I sprayed it with Fabsil but if I know it will be raining, an Aussie outback hat in kangaroo leather is better as the rain just runs off whereas the cotton Dorfman P seems to absorb the moisture and get a little damp. The DP hat for me is an outdoor sunhat for fine weather but will cope with a shower or two. I will buy another one if this one wears out as I absolutely love it !

DP hat.JPG

I have a Dorfman Pacific hat which looks just like that Outback Jack one. I have had it for about four years now I think and it is good in the summer.

I sprayed it with Fabsil but if I know it will be raining, an Aussie outback hat in kangaroo leather is better as the rain just runs off whereas the cotton Dorfman P seems to absorb the moisture and get a little damp. The DP hat for me is an outdoor sunhat for fine weather but will cope with a shower or two. I will buy another one if this one wears out as I absolutely love it !

Thanks for that. I was a bit concerned that the hat was made to look more solid than it was; that it was a fashion accessory rather than something practical.

The use you describe is exactly what I want though, so I'll keep an eye in the shops selling them and see of there are any sales coming up.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

View attachment 442442

That's a fish silly....:rolleyes:

Top Bottom