The Secrets of Sports direct

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
but why just one company or is it that sports direct is an easy one to boycott, specially by those that can afford to shop elsewhere...and as stated elsewhere although all these companies treat a lot of their employees like shiitte, without them the opportunity for employment would be greatly decreased....
sports direct and the other companies might be shiiite jobs but it a job and someones got to do it,....still we could all be on the dole...

No - you start with somewhere (i.e. Sports Direct) and then if you care about where your money is going, then you choose where you shop more carefully.

Honestly, you're making out that Sports Direct are some kinda victim.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Zero hours means no chance of a mortgage, not helpful for many i'm sure.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
NO we are the victims and boycotting isn't really helping us...

As I pointed out upthread, the saving to SD in using zero-hours contracts is the equivalent of the profit on about 3.5% of their sales.

So if a boycott led to a 3.5% sales reduction, SD would be better off scrapping zero-hours contracts to recover the lost sales. Not a lot is it?

Fubar

Guru
Yes, there'll be employers who use it in different ways, I am sure that some people are exploited.

I get my hours for my working week on the prior Wednesday, I'd like them 7 days before because I have to give 7 days notice of days I cannot work, getting them on a Wednesday means I can only reject Thurs/Fri......... if I'd like to. I get holiday pay built into my hourly rate, I think it's 1 hour per 8 worked, I also get 1:5 times pay after 8pm and weekends so I regularly choose the 4-midnight shift enabling me to cycle during the day and a 12 hour shift on a weekend. Bank holidays are 2x. I'll often work only 4 days and be paid more than regular contracted 37.5 hour 5 day employee. And I am still as "free" as when I was self employed, I don't have to ask my employer for days off should I see a cheap flight I want to book, I just book it and then tell them.

I don't want to work full time, I don't want to be tied down to a 9-5 job, I want flexibility and freedom, my contracted workmates don't get it, they'd be scared to death of not having the security of a guaranteed salary, but I was self employed, so what's new? The negative is no sick pay, but then I don't get sick like contracted employees seem to do.......:smile:

What I am experiencing seems miles away from what I read in the earlier post regarding Wetherspoons. :sad:

For it to work well, both employee AND employer have to be reasonable.

I would concur, I had really good employees in the NHS who turned down the chance of permanent hours as it removed the flexibility of their zero-hours contract - I couldn't force them to work. In fact the only downside was that they couldn't get in the CTW scheme as they had no fixed regular income!

MarkF

Guru
I would concur, I had really good employees in the NHS who turned down the chance of permanent hours as it removed the flexibility of their zero-hours contract - I couldn't force them to work. In fact the only downside was that they couldn't get in the CTW scheme as they had no fixed regular income!

Yes, first thing I did was look at that, I was disappointed. :sad:

Top Bottom