The Secrets of Sports direct

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
To be fair, it's a dreadful shop that sells an unholy amount of tat - was last in there about a year ago and got a cycling jersey - total rubbish, but what do you expect for a tenner I suppose.

Not surprised they treat their staff like dirt.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3666883, member: 259"]Oh, right. So that's OK then. I have family working for Sports Direct (nothing else available and they are not working at retail sites) and I wouldn't want to swap my job for theirs.[/QUOTE]
I never said it was OK. Just your "quote" wasn't the truth.

Herbie

Veteran
[QULiOTE="Dave Davenport, post: 3665906, member: 478"]I've bought a few things in there, yes there's loads of tat b

Like yourself i've bought stuff from them in past but they won't be getting my custom again after watching last nights prog.....what a disgraceful company to work for...workers getting sacked for not going fast enough and taking too long in the toilet etc etc.. looked like a real life sweat shop in the UK....a total disgrace

Herbie

Veteran
[QUOTE 3667546, member: 259"]The problem with the HQ also, is that it's in quite a deprived area. Some people don't have the luxury of being fussy about the jobs they can take, and I've heard some horror stories about this place. But if we all boycotted SD, they'd be out on their ears.[/QUOTE]
Yeah i know and understand that....makes it even more sh11e....Mike Ashley and his like getting obscenely wealthy on the back of this....total disgrace

screenman

Legendary Member
I want all the staff working for the companies I buy off an deal with to have full time contracts, holiday pay, sick pay and final salary pensions, I also want the lowest price there is. Could there be a problem?

Personally I buy not on price alone, but I am also sure no everybody is the same, not being particularly materialistic makes it slightly easier.

clid61

Veteran
You lot banging on about boycotting , wont stop them trading or review their ethics . Its cheap casual wear for the masses , dont shop there by all means but dont be aloof and saying youre boycotting it . If youre morals were so high , you'd be living the Good Life like Tom and Barbara !

screenman

Legendary Member
Being of a certain age I had to look up Tom and Barbara, wow!

Barbara Lee
60, Cambridge; philanthropist
$213 million
Her 1996 divorce from buyout king Tom Lee made Barbara Lee a very wealthy woman. (Her net worth got another boost when she sold their Brookline home for $18.5 million, then a city record.) She’s since started a foundation to support women in politics, hosted a $500,000 fundraiser in October for Hillary Clinton and the three other women U.S. senators up for reelection, and given the first $5 million toward the new $62 million ICA, whose capital campaign she cochairs.

clid61

Veteran
if all the people who are going to boycott sports direct, well they better leave space on their boycotting placard because they're going to need it, sports direct treat their staff no different from many other companies, for example in Peterborough we have IKEA, AMAZON, DEBENHAMS all large warehouses employing large amounts of agency staff, minumun wage, forced overtime, bullying, treated like scum...getting to work to be told no work today..sacked for minor infringements, well you're never sacked just not asked back......even the company I work for has told agency staff if they don't do overtime or work bank holidays then they'll find people who are prepared too.....MANY MANY companies treat people like this, I sometimes wonder if the those who scream boycott actually have any idea what life is like at the bottom...

Exactly

clid61

Veteran
Being of a certain age I had to look up Tom and Barbara, wow!

Barbara Lee
60, Cambridge; philanthropist
$213 million
Her 1996 divorce from buyout king Tom Lee made Barbara Lee a very wealthy woman. (Her net worth got another boost when she sold their Brookline home for $18.5 million, then a city record.) She’s since started a foundation to support women in politics, hosted a $500,000 fundraiser in October for Hillary Clinton and the three other women U.S. senators up for reelection, and given the first $5 million toward the new $62 million ICA, whose capital campaign she cochairs.

Being of a certain age you know exactly who I mean , shoot stirrer ^_^!

J1888

Über Member
Those saying 'don't boycott' - is your reasoning just that 'don't bother because other shops do it too'?

If so, that's a bit daft - everyone should start somewhere and for a company of their size, SD are one of the worst offenders.

Power to the people.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
if all the people who are going to boycott sports direct, well they better leave space on their boycotting placard because they're going to need it, sports direct treat their staff no different from many other companies, for example in Peterborough we have IKEA, AMAZON, DEBENHAMS all large warehouses employing large amounts of agency staff, minumun wage, forced overtime, bullying, treated like scum...getting to work to be told no work today..sacked for minor infringements, well you're never sacked just not asked back......even the company I work for has told agency staff if they don't do overtime or work bank holidays then they'll find people who are prepared too.....MANY MANY companies treat people like this, I sometimes wonder if the those who scream boycott actually have any idea what life is like at the bottom...
Yeah, son 1 in Wethrspoons on Zero hours contract has no concept of what overtime or bank holidays are, the pub is 'open' whether the doors are or not for long hours hours and his shifts can cover whatever bit of it they roster him for, no antisocial hours bonus for a 3am start or finish, no bank holiday extra.... They open on Christmas Day and get people going for lunch just like the more gentrified establishments do.

There's been threads on 'spoons and their purchasing policy for beer before (apparently cheaper as near to going off) which isn't a million miles from SD's pile tat high and sell it cheap model.

Business works for them just as it seems to work for the other end of the scale and exploiters of the gullible rich at the alternative therapy end of Harley Street shown on BBC2 last night, people paying hundreds for bloodletting by leeches or diagnosis by having packets of pills put in their magnetic aura.

Businesses make money for their owners in all sorts of ways.

Top Bottom