The Sherwen and Liggett Tour thread *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Liggett called Radioshack, Radioshack Neessan, today. Most of the time I don't know they're mangling words but just occasionally....

This is actually half right - and more correct that the way most British people say it. In Japanese, it is pronounced Nees'san (stress on the second syllable, the pause is hardly there at all).

Stinkybloomers

That might be how japanese pronounce it,but it sounds nothing like the way americans pronounce it. They extend the nee part, and the san part is like a drawled out cross between sahn and sawn, so it ends up sounding like niece on. Some brits pronounce it to rhyme with listen, but mostly i hear brits say the san part as in the word sand.

This is actually half right - and more correct that the way most British people say it. In Japanese, it is pronounced Nees'san (stress on the second syllable, the pause is hardly there at all).
Of all the things to knock the Idiot Twins for, their pronunciation is about the least worthwhile, especially if the people doing the knocking still insist on calling the capital of France, Pah-riss. :rolleyes:

Stinkybloomers

Well i wouldnt say they are idiots. They may not be the 100% best commentators, but they have a wealth of knowledge that would put most people to shame, and i have no doubt they would run rings around any one of us on the subject of cycling. Having said that,yes, they do make the 'occasional error' LOL.
The point i made in my first post was touching on something someone already said earlier, which i had also noticed ( i thought that was the point of this thread.forgive me if i got my wires crossed !!)
They should just pick a feckin pronunciation and stick with it,instead of chopping and changing as they do. it dosnt mean they have to pronounce it in the native language,just stick with the anglicised version and be consistent.
Anyhoo,my main point was about PS's saying NO at the start of each reply to PL's comments,even if he is in agreement with him. Am i the only one that noticed it?

crisscross

Did you hear that ? Ligget and Sherwen talking over each other, saying almost the same thing on ITV 4 ?
Are they actually doing 2 simultaneous commentaries for different broadcasters ?
This article seems to confirm it ! : http://www.roadcycling.co.nz/TourdeFrance/sherwen-and-liggett-commentary.html
It kind of explains how disjointed the commentary is.

Wow, that explains a lot - most of the time they aren't talking to each other at all, and are doing different commentaries for different broadcasters simaltaniously.

It's no wonder they confuse themselves and the viewers!

Top Bottom