The Shiv has arrived

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
My bars have all the spacers underneath and the stem flipped, as thats how it feels comfortable. Concentrate on getting narrow and not low, with a small comprimise over aero to power...........works for me and im 17 st lump that has a 26min pb

I'd be more impressed if you were a 26st lump with a 17min personal best! :thumbsup:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'd be more impressed if you were a 26st lump with a 17min personal best! :thumbsup:
After the xmas eating feast, i might be that big :smile:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
WTF has happened to that poor woman behind him? Is she about to explode? Has someone given her a jab up the arse with a pointy stick?

I hope she has made a full recovery, because whatever she has suffered looks like it was incredibly painful.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think the woman in the brown top has removed the offending item ...... and seems rather proud of it I must add :ohmy:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive just got back from my LBS who set the bike up on a turbo for me and used lasers , pointy bendy sticks and angle finders to set the positioning up for me . They have left the bars as they are , just moved the pads and reach about to suit me .
Also fitted my nice carbon wheels and brake pads :girldance:
So now I have no excuse , except its raining now :cuppa:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
How did they determine how aero your position was at each stage?
At this point they have only set the bike up so I am in the right position for riding it . Arms and legs at the right angles and points .
They said the bars could probably go down some but to have a ride as it is and then go back . I'm guessing they want my feed back on it ? Remember I am no spring chicken so you cant just bend me into position and tell me to ride like it :eek:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Cuchilo asked for some advice on the TTF.

The first reply went something along these lines; exaggerate everything by at least 25pc, use a training model which will later be discredited, learn at least 50 new acronyms per week, and PLF!
^_^^_^^_^:becool:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I guess its TT humour ? It went straight over my head .
Anyhow , took the bike down to Hillingdon circuit today between the rain and took it for a ten mile spin . Its a lovely bike to ride and I shaved 2 minutes off my normal time . Still a crap time but that's what practice is for .
I felt like the saddle could go up just a little bit and my arms could come in closer together on the pads . Are there any guides online or books to learn what position I am aiming for ?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It was humour yes.

Regarding your position, you are (or should be) aiming for the fastest position, simple as that.

However, this position will be extremely specific to you, as such lasers, angle measurements and bendy sticks won't tell you which position is going to be fastest, nor will a book or website, in fact I have found that most books/websites perpetuate the same old bullshit regarding certain saddle heights, body angles and contact points being 'right' and obsessing about flat backs etc, what you need to do is embark on a journey of methodical trial and error. This is what I was alluding to/hoping you might catch onto when I asked the question about how the bike fitter was determining how aero you were as they made adjustments i.e. they were thrusting a knife into the dark and you may well have come out of there less aero and slower than you went in, even if you look more aero. The reality is, you can't see aero, there are a few riders in the time trial scene with positions you would look at and think "what were they thinking", yet they have extremely low drag values.

Why don't you just ride the bike a bit more and see how you get on. You won't get your position right any time soon, accept it is going to be long term thing and work it out as you go. If you need pointers from experienced time triallists you will need to post pictures (or preferably video recorded with your riding at race pace) from the front (dead on) and the side (dead on).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Riding the bike and working things out as I go is my plan . I was always going to tweak things myself once the bike had been put into a starting position for me to work from . The problem was , the bike was never put into a start position for me . It was just built and handed over so I took it to my LBS so they could get me into some sort of educated position rather than me taking a wild guess at it .
I understand that there will be a lot of BS out there as there is with all subjects . But by not bothering to read anything about the subject and trying to work it out for myself would be a very slow way to learn . Surely you need to read the BS to work out what is BS and what isn't .

ayceejay

Guru
Your position on this bike is sure to be unique, consequently a little tweak here and there from your regular position is to be expected. Although I agree that your position should be guided by whatever is fastest you also want to live to fight another day.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ive actually lowered my saddle this year compared to last year. As it feels more powerful and comfortable, but its only on the turbo at the moment and no real road testing as yet

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I spent most of last night looking at hundreds of pictures a photographer had taken of some time trials and one thing that I noticed is that nearly everyone has an aero helmet . I guess my pointy helmet moment may come sooner rather than later :hyper:
Anyhow , the positions of some people as mentioned was very interesting as they seemed to be doing things totally different to the others .
I also took detailed measurements of the bike as it is before I start to tweak things so if I feel I have messed things up I have notes of a default position to go back too .
Ive moved the saddle up 12mm as I felt it needed to go up when I was riding . Its still about 5mm lower than on my other bikes but im not sure if comparing that is relevant ?

Top Bottom