The shortest day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I always thought that the shortes day of the year was 21st Dec but a bloke at work today swore it was the 22nd. Somebody on here must have the definitive answer ...

col

Legendary Member
Im not sure if the 21st is the official start of winter,but then im not sure about the longest day being the 22nd either.Possibly pete can help here.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I think most of us were brought up with "June 21st - longest day and December 21st - shortest day". Doing a quick search on the net, it seems that it works on a 2 year cycle; last year and this year it is Dec 22 and on the 21st in 2008 & 2009. Some years the difference in daylight is as much as - wait for this - one second! December 21st is the start of the winter solstice so I will always say that the shortest day is the 21st. Let's not quibble over one second - unless it is in a time trial!

ash68

I'll just be happy when it stays lighter that little bit longer every day. Then you know you're on the home stretch to Spring. :becool:
Even if the worst of the winter weather is still to come our way:sad::biggrin:

i'm with ash. once the solstice is gone it feels like a corner has been turned

mondobongo

Über Member
We will start to see the benefit by the end of January, I am also happy to get past the shortest day. But also get bloody depressed on the longest day knowing that we are once again turning towards winter.
Never used to pay any attention to it until I became a cyclist.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
We should go back to the pagan celebration calander :?:
may 1st fertility may day
june 21st midsummer
sept 22nd autumn harvest
dec 21/22nd midwinter return of the sun

Gary Askwith said:
We should go back to the pagan celebration calander :?:
may 1st fertility may day
june 21st midsummer
sept 22nd autumn harvest