The Skoda Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Oh aye, but it takes less energy, a lot less, to extract and refine crude oil into fuel that the fuel itself returns when burned. T'was covered in my Masters syllabus (fuels for space launch, pros and cons, let's light this candle stuff.) For every BTU consumed in its extraction and production the finished product delivers about 10.5 BTUs' of usable product, not to mention the handy unused fractions that have other industrial uses and cost benefit, which further offsets the expense of production.

Synthetic fuels are, with the currently favoured state of the art, not even in the ballpark. Depending on the method used every BTU equivalent used creating synthetic fuels returns only 0.4 to 0.6 BTU's of usable petrol. That's horrifically inefficient. Thats like using a torch tompower your solar panels, then usingnthe panelsmto recharge the torch batteries. It's a nut people have been trying to crack since the early 70s to break OPECs grip on western cojones and no one is anywhere near making it viable in anything beyond tiny quantities because of the energy expenditure, and hence cost. It'll do for niche stuff like F1, but ideas that it'll power road cars at scale is just wishful thinking in the extreme,

The important difference is with fossil fuels is that it is refining and altering an existing substance, and the substance itself can be heated and the gas extracted to power the whole process. Synthetic fuels of the sort being played with these days are using vast amounts of energy to crack atoms from air, and then all the chemistry on top of that to make it into a drop-in fuel. As I'm sure you know all you're doing with that is introducing a trophic level, to steal a term from ecology, that doesn't exist with fossil fuels.

And then of course these synthetic fuels need to be transported to the point of sale/use just like any other fossil fuel, so that aspect is closely comparable.

It kinda makes you realise how messy and nasty combustion fuels are (and apologies for dragging a Skoda thread on a tangent, but I guess they use ⛽️ too) and how oil is really far too unique and valuable a substance to be wasted by burning it.

True, but there are synthetic fuels and there are synthetic fuels, all with varying levels of efficiency. None of this is black & white. Or simple. if it was, it's as you say, something that would have been sorted years ago.

And then, of course, you've got government and big industry backing whatever scheme brings the most amount of money into the coffers rather than the options that are best solution to the problem. As is often the case with a lucrative product.

Ideally, we should all be driving less, especially in urban areas. Trouble is, so much housing and infrastructure (or lack thereof) has been built that gives one no option *but* to drive. And the bottom line is, as long as owning (leasing these days, more like) a car, especially one that's bigger / better / more expensive than the neighbours, is seen as aspirational, not a lot is going to change.

But if everyone made a few small changes, that would add up to a lot of changes. We could also argue that crude oil is too valuable a product to waste on single use plastics as well...

Oh yeah, and I drive a 52 plate Fabia. :biggrin:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't think so.

Parts of the automotive industry see EV as an evolutionary dead end, largely down to infrastructure problems that are never likely to be overcome. And this was already being talked about at least 25 years ago i.e. who pays for it, where do you put it, how do you access it, all that sort of stuff. Never mind that EV is effectively passing the buck, and handing the problems to different industries.

Me personally? As a former automotive engineer? I prefer the hydrogen / synthetic fuels options.

F1 is looking down the synthetic fuels road, and Indycar has been running on ethanol for donkey's years.

I think that's spot on, but F1 may have an increasing image problem if EVs become prevalent.

F1 relies heavily on image, promoting a jet set cutting edge lifestyle at the forefront of everything, including fashion and engineering.

When we are all driving EVs, watching ICE cars racing will start to feel old fashioned and out of date.

That appearance would kill F1 stone dead, or at least make it look like attending a steam rally does today.

Proto

Legendary Member
Talk to me about Yetis, please,

Daughter's Nissan Micra is not long for this world and she's looking a replacement and a Yeti would fit the bill. Lives in Bristol which now has a ULEZ which might mean older diesels would be a pain, so probably best looking at a petrol model. Does, I'm guessing, 4000 miles a year. Budget £10000 ish.

She doesn't need 4x4. Not a speed merchant, and would prefer economy over excitement. Wouldn't be bothered whether manual or DSG. Confused by trim levels as well as engine choice, anyone able to offer useful advice?

Talk to me about Yetis, please,

Daughter's Nissan Micra is not long for this world and she's looking a replacement and a Yeti would fit the bill. Lives in Bristol which now has a ULEZ which might mean older diesels would be a pain, so probably best looking at a petrol model. Does, I'm guessing, 4000 miles a year. Budget £10000 ish.

She doesn't need 4x4. Not a speed merchant, and would prefer economy over excitement. Wouldn't be bothered whether manual or DSG. Confused by trim levels as well as engine choice, anyone able to offer useful advice?

With that sort of mileage and not worried about speed the 1.2 tsi 2wd models would be perfect. I had two of those for four and six years (manual) and loved them. Recently changed for a Karoq and, while probably better technically, tbh I don't like it to drive near as much. I believe the last year of production was 2017 but they would be more than £10k. High driving position and plenty of headroom/storage space, especially compared to a Micra. Trim levels, well that's a matter of taste and will depend on what's on the market

I think that's spot on, but F1 may have an increasing image problem if EVs become prevalent.

F1 relies heavily on image, promoting a jet set cutting edge lifestyle at the forefront of everything, including fashion and engineering.

When we are all driving EVs, watching ICE cars racing will start to feel old fashioned and out of date.

That appearance would kill F1 stone dead, or at least make it look like attending a steam rally does today.

I dunno... There's something absolutely visceral, standing next to a full fat race car with the engine running. I'll take a Cerbera Speed 12 over an EV any day. :blush:

Tuesday 18th

I saw this nicely coloured Octavia, in Port Erin
(Isle Of Man)

IMG_6571.jpeg

Gunk

Guru
Shame about the naff wind deflectors

I've booked the Kodiaq into our regular garage, for Monday
The orange 'Engine Management' is on
The handbook states it's an emissions related fault

Doubt it's the DPF as that has its own symbol

There's no change in drivability/noise/etc...
The above was in December 2021
It's been fine since then

However, a fortnight or so, it came on again (last time, it went off after 2 -3 days
This time it's stayed on
Due to the week in the Isle Of Man, I couldn't get it into the garage

It's been this morning, 'DPF faults'
Rather annoyingly, it re-illuminated, when I started it on the forecourt, one of the guys cleared it
The 'Service Due In 600 Miles' message came on yesterday, so I booked in for that, whilst I was there

I then drove home, got the trailer, & took the hall-carpet/underlay, that we'd taken up to the local tip

All was good, until I started it again, to park it after unhitching the trailer
Light back on :cursing: :cursing:

I had a trip over to Halfords (Pontefract) & bought a bottle of the (Wynns) 'Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaner', & poured it in at the store
Well, I can try it for £10

My Fabia is off to the garage on Thursday after she left me stranded in the Tesco car park last night. Recovery chap managed to de-bug the immobiliser so I could get home under my own steam.

Long story short, the electronics aren't recognising the chip in the keys, ergo the immobiliser cuts in as soon as you start the engine. Main key (the one I had last night) works fine, but now the spare one doesn't. So something's not right, and I've no desire to get stranded again.

Good job this didn't happen to me on Friday when I was down in Winchester.

Well, I *drove* a 52-plate Fabia...

Dropped the car off this morning at the garage for them to look at it. ECU is fubared. It's uneconomical to fix and new parts aren't guaranteed to solve the issue. Plus I've been advised that it won't pass the MOT later in the year.

The amount it would cost to put right would run into four figures, so time to call it quits.

Looking at a Skoda Rapid Spaceback as a potential replacement.

Jameshow

Veteran
Well, I *drove* a 52-plate Fabia...

Dropped the car off this morning at the garage for them to look at it. ECU is fubared. It's uneconomical to fix and new parts aren't guaranteed to solve the issue. Plus I've been advised that it won't pass the MOT later in the year.

The amount it would cost to put right would run into four figures, so time to call it quits.

Looking at a Skoda Rapid Spaceback as a potential replacement.

Good innings! our 02 polo was much the same until my son totalled it!

Good innings! our 02 polo was much the same until my son totalled it!

Considering I've had just over a decade of relatively fuss-free motoring out of it, I can't complain. Other than replacing consumables, the only issues I've had up till now is a disintegrating head gasket (a known issue on the 1.4 normally aspirated engine fitted to the series 1 Fabia), and a blown clutch courtesy of the parental unit.

They really are the Ronseal of cars.

Astral

2011 Octavia Scout 2.0 diesel DSG owner here. It tows a caravan among other things. I aim to take it around the clock again. It's quality.

Attachments

• P3080318-2.jpg
    P3080318-2.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom