The Skoda Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As @Drago has his Volvo thread, l thought l’d start this, as l’m sat here in our self-catering ‘cottage’ (stone terrace)

We’re in Felton, which is part-way between Morpeth & Alnwick
It was on The Great North Road & not bypassed until 1981!

‘Background’ aside

This is how many there are here
(the black Kodiaq is mine)
C740C5EB-FAE0-42FB-B2D5-080AA133D7EE.jpeg

Plus;
Superb estate out of shot, to my left
2 x Yetis up the road

A house with a Rapid & Fabia in the yard

Skoda City!!!

As for ownership?

We had a ‘03’ plated Fabia estate (1.4mpi) that we bought new from DM Keith (Leeds)
That was a cracking little car, in terms of build quality & ‘feel’, far ahead of my mothers Corsa

DB2956FA-97AF-44A8-91AB-D82EB88D82AD.jpeg

I’m writing this on my iPhone, so only have this photo
It was taken not long after we moved, as the Mondeo was wifes company car (& my Discovery, of the time)
There’s a double garage & ‘workshop’ there now
(the garage was built with enough clearance so that my - desired - 101FC could be jacked up enough to remove wheels)

The brother-in-laws girlfriend (of the time) had a Polo, & the Fabia was on a par or better

Last edited:
Quite a few of you will (possibly) know that l owned an Octavia for quite a while

Bought in March 2012, at about 6months old & with 7,000(ish) miles showing, it was a world apart from the hateful C-Max we owned (& l detested)

Later on, at about 90,000 miles it was remapped, from;
106BHP > 150BHP
180ib/ft > 240ib/ft

The BHP was of no consequence to me, but the increased torque was wonderful

I’m writing this on my iPhone, so don’t have many pictures of it
It was never garaged, this was taken after the insurance had been transferred over to the Kodiaq (so it had to be off the public road)

FF12D0A9-3C57-4555-8DA7-3EC736E7A763.jpeg

As for the MPG?
That improved with the remapping, it was a bad day,if l saw less than an average of 60MPG when refuelling (generally when it got to 1/2 full)

Come May, & Senior Management started looking at camper-vans..
I suggested a VW T5, but prices support their popularity
Then it went to a caravan

Due to what she wanted (in terms of layout/4-berths), we needed a bigger/heavier car - to prevent ’The Tail Wagging The Dog Syndrome’
G
After a couple of suggestions, we saw what l now own
Kodiaq SE
2.0Tdi (150BHP)
6-speed manual
4x4 (Haldex viscous)
5-seater (not 7)

D3B021AC-7B41-42B1-AAC3-2726B7CDCFC5.jpeg

It’s slightly longer, but a lot taller

AB7A8D01-E57C-47ED-9131-B44FAC3CC465.jpeg

The Octavia stays close, as daughters boyfriend bought it!

I can’t say, at moment, if l’ll own the Kodiaq for over 9 years though?!?

Last edited:
I’ve got a Skoda Superb Estate. Could fit a dead horse in it.
And that’s without putting the seats down!

My Kodiaq’ has similar internal dimensions, the rear footwells are huge, Coco The Clown would have room to spare

One of our Consultants has a Superb estate, he’s about 6’4” & can comfortably sit in the rear, with the drivers seat set for him

One curious thing with mine is, l presume it’s a feature of the 7-seaters that stayed in the 5-seaters
The rear seats slide forward, by about 9 inches!!!
Probably to allow access to the 3rd row?
Oh!, & they have 2 back-rest positions

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I had two Octavia VRSs in succession. The first one was petrol, then 2nd one diesel. The diesel one seemed a bit slower that in should have been on paper, and lacked the low speed oomph of supposedly less powerful TD pugs I'd driven but it was still OK. Broke down a couple of times in its 4th year after maybe 120,000 miles - all the fairy lights came on, limp mode for a mile, then dead. I don't think it was anything major (company car so not my problem) but still went home on a lorry. It's the same engine as the VWs and Audi. He turbo petrol I had before it was excellent, albeit that was a 3 year 100,000 miles before it went back. Neither was quite as nice as Audi or or VW equivalents, but I was able to get the Skoda in the "band below" on the company scheme, and I preferred cash in pocket in exchange for nearly as good

Back in the olden days a mate had one of the old proper rear-engined Skodas and it was built like a tank. It had a gearbox fault where only 2nd and 4th gears worked, so he had to slip the clutch to get started in 2nd, then rev the bollocks off it before jumping into top gear. I dare say it could have been fixed rather than it being per se a bad car. He was too tight/skint to sort it out and perhaps a bit of inverted snobbery of being able to drive it like it was. We all ran old bangers back then. Incidentally the same model was very successful in rallying, perhaps in part due to the tank-like solidity

Mmmmm, well I've had three. Can't knock 'em, great little cars, well built and fun to drive. They look unassuming, but let's just say I've left egg on the face of people in more poncy chariots. And they're very Tardis-like inside, whether that's the hatch or the estate.

L-plate Favorit Black Line
T-plate Felicia 1.6 GLXi

And the current steed chez Casa Reynard...

A 52-plate Fabia 1.4 Classic estate.

Domus

Guru
Mine is an Octavia vRS estate in Race Blue, senior management's is a 1.0 Fabia in Red. Both petrol, both DSG. Senior management has suffered two broken hips and finds clutch pedals difficult. Both cars faultless and both quick.

So, are you saying a Skoda with a sunroof is no longer referred to as a skip, or a twin exhaust one as a wheelbarrow?

Correct!
Unless you want to refer to VWs, SEATs, Audis, as the same?
Or even Bugatti’s?:laugh:

The, above mentioned, Ford C-Max was deliberately left as a skip on several occasions, with all 4 windows open
I was really hoping that someone would steal it, but no, even our local ne’er do wells had more taste!!!
Its only redeeming factor was LED tail-lights!

That was the only thing l liked about that….. thing…

Top Bottom