The Sony Action Cam AS10/ AS15 review and users thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
How long should the battery last for? I just did a test with a full charge in 1080p 30fps mode and it recorded two files before it ran out of battery, one was 35 minutes long and the other was 27 minutes long. Just over an hour doesn't seem right...
Mine last over two hours.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Rattles are a problem, although for me not from the camera rattling in the transparent case. I took mine apart and found it was the speaker rattling in its mount. I superglued it in, which fixed it, but it's not good for a consumer product - others have had battery rattles or rattles of unknown origin, which all sound very loud on recorded audio.

I would avoid clamped pivot bar mounts if possible - on surface-dressed roads, they all vibrate to some extent at the pivot point, even when firmly clamped, and make rolling shutter worse. This means making your own though. Again, not exactly consumer-friendly.

Took mine apart today.......lots of parts which could move and create rattles...my speaker wasn't loose but I could tell the rattle I get would probably come from the lens mount itself so I have inserted some strategic slivers of tape in certain points to see if they make any difference (i'm not holding my breath). I noticed that my bars themselves actually buzz quite a bit so suspect the fact that I am using a pivot mount would make little difference, but I do agree with what you are saying that the use of a mount can only add to shake.
The camera is so nearly right but it does have its faults........why can't these things be done right the first time!!...totally agree not consumer friendly, and that includes having to use a crappy case......still I stand by what I said as it is doing what I need it to do despite the niggles I may be able to get over (just wish I didn't have to try).

Blurb

Über Member
How long should the battery last for? I just did a test with a full charge in 1080p 30fps mode and it recorded two files before it ran out of battery, one was 35 minutes long and the other was 27 minutes long. Just over an hour doesn't seem right...
Mine has been used, and recharged, daily for nearly a year now and still lasts over two hours on a single charge.
The only issue I've had with it was after about 9 months of London potholes the battery would jiggle enough to switch it off. A couple of small strips of insulating tape on the battery appears to have seated it more securely and resolved the issue.

Edit: the updated AS30 appears to have a redesigned waterproof case, so maybe that addresses some issues re. sound clarity(new door), weight(35% lighter), rattling(who knows!).

D

Deleted member 20519

Mine has been used, and recharged, daily for nearly a year now and still lasts over two hours on a single charge.
The only issue I've had with it was after about 9 months of London potholes the battery would jiggle enough to switch it off. A couple of small strips of insulating tape on the battery appears to have seated it more securely and resolved the issue.

Edit: the updated AS30 appears to have a redesigned waterproof case, so maybe that addresses some issues re. sound clarity(new door), weight(35% lighter), rattling(who knows!).

It turns out that the batteries I ordered from Hong Kong were the problem. The seller said they were OEM but I get an hour out of each battery and 2hr40 out of the official battery that came with the camera.

@paulw1969 It's hard to tell from the pics but have you drilled holes in the front door of the camera? How does that affect sound?

paulw1969

Ridley rider
@paulw1969 It's hard to tell from the pics but have you drilled holes in the front door of the camera? How does that affect sound?

Yes you may just see in the fuzzy pic posted I have drilled two small 2-3mm holes at an upwards angle above where the S and Y in the picture, that is above the black strip which holds the camera in place but below the domed front of the case. In this pic I had inserted small amounts of foam within the holes but have removed these,. these may be seen more clearly in pic 2 showing the extra foam I have since removed. In pic five the sliver of foam with turned up edges in the corners cover these holes. Sound is better and voices can be picked up quite well, no wind whistle. Incidentally I have had two wet commutes this week and no water ingress through any of the holes....and one commute was very wet!!
I did try on Monday I think it was using the camera with the cover off altogether with just a hairband keeping the camera in the case and with the front exposed. Unfortunately it was very misty that morning and flare was terrible due to dew on the lens....sound was much improved which was expected......the camera was difficult to turn on and off as the camera moved with the rear button.....I will try leaving the front cover off again but perhaps next year when the temps increase and humidity drops in the mornings.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20519

I drilled two small holes in the front door of the camera, I haven't had a chance to test it out yet so I don't know if it will make much of a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
any idea how to solve the fogging issue. Its driving me mad

cloggsy

Boardmanist
any idea how to solve the fogging issue. Its driving me mad
I bought a moisture trap (Asda - £1 from memory), put it in a plastic tub and put the camera in the plastic tub with it. I also got one of those silica sachets & popped that in the waterproof holder & fastened it up...

Hey-presto... No more fogging!

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I bought a moisture trap (Asda - £1 from memory), put it in a plastic tub and put the camera in the plastic tub with it. I also got one of those silica sachets & popped that in the waterproof holder & fastened it up...

Hey-presto... No more fogging!
I have tried the sachets and nothing for me. I may try some anti fog spray.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I have tried the sachets and nothing for me. I may try some anti fog spray.
Not sachets mate. One of these...

$T2eC16Z,!)4FI,TR-mUnBS,6Tg3Wyw~~60_12.JPG

One of these in a tub with the camera... The little sachets go in the camera holder - but this removes the moisture from the camera.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Drill some holes, put some silica gel packets in or get some fog sheets. I drilled holes, no more fog!
I really don't want to do that hole thing. Does any water get in when it rains at all? As a drop of water and the cameras farked.

Top Bottom