The start of a Tour de France stage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger1

Veteran
I’m doing a charity bike ride this year, which is following the 2nd stage of the Tour de France. We’re doing it the day before the pros do it. We’ll be staying in Copenhagen and we’re now discussing about whether to go to the start the following day in Roskilde to see them off. A few questions if I may!

Anyone familiar with the transport in Denmark? Is it reliable, as the journey from the hotel seems to be circa 60mins.

Has anyone been to the start of a stage, is there anything else to see (cycle exhibitions/stalls etc) or will we just see the peloton fly past (maybe just slowly as it may be before the official start) and it’ll be all over in 5mins?

What’s Roskilde like, once we’ve seen them leave are there eateries/bars around?

I guess the ultimate question is - will it be worth the ‘hassle’ or just find a bar in Copenhagen and watch it on the TV?!!

Thanks in advance

T4tomo

Legendary Member
There is the "sign-on" process so all the riders come and sign on pre start of stage and obviously are milling about pre start. The publicity "caravan" goes down the route an hour or so ahead of the riders. so there will be lots to see. Start towns pay a lot to host it, so will be lots going on to encourage you to invest your Krona back into the local economy.

I would say go to start but get there early to see most up close and personal with the teams, and then find a cafe / bar to watch it in.

I assume from his username @steveindenmark lives in Denmark so will advise on other stuff. I think he said the route was going past his house, or at least he has a yellow bike by his garden gate.

CXRAndy

Guru
I’m doing a charity bike ride this year, which is following the 2nd stage of the Tour de France. We’re doing it the day before the pros do it. We’ll be staying in Copenhagen and we’re now discussing about whether to go to the start the following day in Roskilde to see them off. A few questions if I may!

Anyone familiar with the transport in Denmark? Is it reliable, as the journey from the hotel seems to be circa 60mins.

Has anyone been to the start of a stage, is there anything else to see (cycle exhibitions/stalls etc) or will we just see the peloton fly past (maybe just slowly as it may be before the official start) and it’ll be all over in 5mins?

What’s Roskilde like, once we’ve seen them leave are there eateries/bars around?

I guess the ultimate question is - will it be worth the ‘hassle’ or just find a bar in Copenhagen and watch it on the TV?!!

Thanks in advance

I've watched a live stage in the UK TDF, finishing in Sheffield. Its a bit of a carnival atmosphere if the weather is good. The UK was rather unusual with ten of thousands lining the course. The caravan of vehicles will come through quite early followed by the Peleton whizzing by. To actually see their pace is something else. Overall though, best viewing done from a TV

Transport in Europe, excellent.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I’ve watched a few TdFs and prefer the starts to the finish. There’s a lot of milling about and the chance to see the pros out and about warming up. Every stage will be different but while there’s usually some form of ”fan zone” with some merch and bling on show, they’ve always felt a little sketchy and underwhelming to me. Once the riders are off the whole thing packs up very very quickly.

Another observation based on a limited sample is that out-of-France départs are much busier and manic than a standard domestic stage. I think the novelty pulls in the crowds and the location will have been chosen with more of a mind to the potential impact. I was at the Utrecht 2015 départ time trial and it was quite frankly nuts. No chance of getting into a bar anywhere near the centre.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As others have said, there's lots of atmosphere and things to see at the sign-on. Plus, of course the opportunity to mill about and see other people milling about.

Another thing you can do is ride the closed roads on the morning of the stage. I've done that in France, head off nice and early and aim to get off the road at a strategic point then settle down and wait for the race.

Definitely lots of milling about
milling about pre start.

There’s a lot of milling about
Get your milling shoes on.

Last edited:
The Start is worth watching.

TdF 2016 in the UK I went up to Harewood House to watch the 'flying' start which happens after the procession (you probably alread know this!), afterwards I cycled to the eventual finish intending to watch it but I found it very busy, couldnt get a comfy spot so went home to watch it. I've also watched a pelotan pass on the stage in full flow, that was great but over very quickly.

I'd say see what you can if you are there, might as well take the opportunity!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’ve only ever seen the finish of a TDF stage , a mountain stage in the French Alps. We got to the village about 5am, climbed up a local alp, back for lunch, then wandered down to finish. Lots going on and about 400m onwards from finish plenty of space to get up to barrier to see when they came. As above caravelle about an hour before riders with some amateurs being allowed to come up, including some roller blades. Then a Mexican wave wall of sound came up the mountain as the riders approached. Then evening pizza and beer and left about 10pm to get back to where we were camping. A great if long day out.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
with some amateurs being allowed to come up,
It may be different on mountain stages, but my experience of (flat) TdF stages is that in the gap between the roads being closed the night before and the first caravan coming through ahead of the race anyone can just ride on the closed roads. I'm not sure if it's strictly "allowed" but there are plenty of people doing it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It may be different on mountain stages, but my experience of (flat) TdF stages is that in the gap between the roads being closed the night before and the first caravan coming through ahead of the race anyone can just ride on the closed roads. I'm not sure if it's strictly "allowed" but there are plenty of people doing it.

It was a specific time you were allowed to do it. It wasn’t a case of jump on it any time before they arrive.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It was a specific time you were allowed to do it. It wasn’t a case of jump on it any time before they arrive.

I expect mountain pass closures are a bit different. And a mountain pass isn't something that most people can casually jump on and ride up anyway.

It can be quite interesting to ride the evening before and see the teams of workers putting up the closure signs. There are vans that drive along a bit, stop, and a gang of people jump out, run around fixing up signs and so on, jump back in the van, drive along a bit .,,

It makes you realise what a massive organisation Le Tour is. That and all the helicopters and tour vehicles buzzing around,

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I expect mountain pass closures are a bit different. And a mountain pass isn't something that most people can casually jump on and ride up anyway.

It can be quite interesting to ride the evening before and see the teams of workers putting up the closure signs. There are vans that drive along a bit, stop, and a gang of people jump out, run around fixing up signs and so on, jump back in the van, drive along a bit .,,

It makes you realise what a massive organisation Le Tour is. That and all the helicopters and tour vehicles buzzing around,

Yes even at 5am, we had parked somewhere we thought was out of the way. But a TDF woman came up and explained the dignitaries would be using the area. She jumped in the car with us and directed us to somewhere we could leave the car.

OP
OP
Badger1

Badger1

Veteran
Cheers All for your replies. I think we're going to give it a go and get over there for the start. We may not get the chance again so probably worth the hassle. If its rubbish, back on the train to Copenhagen, find a bar and watch it on the TV!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Cheers All for your replies. I think we're going to give it a go and get over there for the start. We may not get the chance again so probably worth the hassle. If its rubbish, back on the train to Copenhagen, find a bar and watch it on the TV!

I’m sure you won’t regret it. Have fun!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

Thanks in advance

Transport is good in Denmark. You will have no trouble with the trains. Roskilde is a nice seaside place with a beautiful cathederal. There are lots of eating and drinking places.

I would make the trip if I were you.

Top Bottom