The Steepest Climb In Pro Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
Watching the Vuelta on saturday the climb to the finish in Andorra was one of the steepest that i have seen . It reminded me of a climb in the Tour Of Ireland about 4 or 5 years ago which was the steepest climb that i can remember seeing the cyclists we barely moving that said they have the mountains over there for it

What is the steepest climb in pro cycling ? what is the steeepest climb that you have seen

raindog

er.....
The Angliru is supposed to be about the naughtiest I think?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Wasn't it the first time that this particular climb in Andorra has been done in the vuelta? So it's difficult to get comparisons because people will not be familliar with it. I'm sure there's various other mad roads they could use in grand tours that have been built/repaved not so long ago.

Wouldn't be in a position to know but heard people compare the angryglue, the zoncolan and then the various famous tour ones.

thom

____
The Angliru is supposed to be about the naughtiest I think?
"One of the most difficult climbs in Europe, the Zoncolan has been compared with El Angliru, the fearsome climb in the Spanish region of Asturias. The steepest, 23.6-percent pitch of the Angliru is very short however, being part of a kilometer stretch that averages "only" 17.2 percent. While the Zoncolan has a kilometer of nearly 20%."
http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?qryMountainID=36
Steepest I've been up is Marin Avenue in Berkeley (California): http://john-s-allen.com/galleries/berkeley/slides/00Marin Ave.html
I don't know its gradient is measured accurately anywhere but I've seen 25% or 30% estimates for some of the ramps.
Thankfully there are road intersections every 50m or so where you can recover. I doubt it has ever been part of a proper competitive race but is good fun for the locals.

Edit: I think the reason you tend not to get really steep roads in France is that they realised at some point you can't get military vehicles up gradients of more than about 8%. I think the extended climb I know in the Alps is up the Mont do Chat from Lac du Bourget, which is just under 10% average for about 10km is one of the hardest. The old route off the Galibier to Briancon is much steeper than the current route for example.

Lee_M

Guru
round the corner from me is a quarter mile hill that starts at 8% and goes up to 20%

Its one of three ways out from where I live, all of them uphill with the minimum being a 7%

cant imagine 25% or doing that 20% for very ling

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Constitution Hill, Swansea... ;)

Not a long one, but cobbles and steep! Would love to have a go, but I would probably cry about 1/3 of the way up :tongue:

lukesdad

One a couple of years ago in spain can't remember if it was the Vuelta or not when some of the pro's got off and pushed anyone remember it ?

Top Bottom