The Steepest Climb In Pro Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
They reckoned that when the Tour of Britain went up the 33% Rosedale Chimney a few planned it wrong and had to walk up a section.

It is not as bad as it sounds being relatively short.

Lee_M

Guru
According to this months cycling plus the tour organiser was spat at by the pros for that climb

ClaudeH

Regular
round the corner from me is a quarter mile hill that starts at 8% and goes up to 20%

Its one of three ways out from where I live, all of them uphill with the minimum being a 7%

cant imagine 25% or doing that 20% for very ling

Lee

Where are you talking about? From your location of "London and Essex" I may have to give your roads a try.

Claude

400bhp

Guru
Winnats 20% and long (1km plus). Lamaload 20% and long, Jenkins Chapel - orrible, and the crazy hill in Prestatyn - 33% on the last section.

And no get out due to the steep sides (at least you can fall onto them :whistle:) and usually a car or 2 behind.

Lee_M

Guru
Lee

Where are you talking about? From your location of "London and Essex" I may have to give your roads a try.

Claude

I'm in Leigh on Sea

Not many hills - except if you live in old Leigh and its up hill from there into the town proper.

They're short but quite steep - especially since I get no warm up - my own road is only 200 yards long but varies between 10% and 18%, which makes leaving a laugh and arriving back home horrible!

albion

Guru
Rosedale Chimey 33% 1.47km long.
1.47km is certainly short.

I guess local hills seem long when in fact they are very short in the realm of things.

raindog

er.....
They're short but quite steep - especially since I get no warm up - my own road is only 200 yards long but varies between 10% and 18%, which makes leaving a laugh and arriving back home horrible!
Same for me - our village is on a hill and the road up to our house finishes in a sharp climb. Very short, but probably about 15% at the top. Easy enough to kick yourself over it, but it's a killer when you've been out riding for two or three hours and all you want is to get in the house and have a sit down and a cuppa. ^_^

thom

____
Rosedale Chimey 33% 1.47km long.
1.47km is certainly short.

I guess local hills seem long when in fact they are very short in the realm of things.
http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?col=Rosedale-Chimney-Bank&qryMountainID=8699
average of 11.9% though

Crankarm

Guru
In the Chilterns there is a hill which is 33%. The Chilterns is not known for being flat.

There are also some pretty steep hills in Wales, even steeper than the Devil's Staircase. I know as I have ridden or more correctly pushed my bike up them. One of the many is an unclassified road going NW out of Machnylleth up a hill into the forest which feels likes a 1:2. Coming back down it, slowly as it so steep, my bike's wheel rims were sizzling hot and brake blocks about to melt.

oldroadman

Veteran
In a race, Nissan Tour of Ireland (mid-80's) had a stage finish in Cork on top of St Patrick's Hill, only about 350 metres but close to 40%, with a virtually dead turn at the foot. Extremely unpleasant, as the finishing circuit included the hill every lap, so up to 5 climbs, and over the top turn right and drag on for a good 1500 metres on a steady slope. Entertaining for the fans!

thom

____
Sorry LD - late to this but Montelupone has been the scene of crime once or twice.
Here's one - swipe it forward to 18:00 for all the sordid spectacle. :smile:

That's hilarious. Rodriguez is done and dusted on the podium getting the podium girl treatment, looking as fresh as a daisy as they cut to star laden peloton who look like they're cycling through treacle !

Top Bottom