The Steepest Climb In Pro Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
Some of the steepest sections of yesterdays Vuelta at the top of the Cuitinigru (typed that carefully!) claimed to be 24% and looked it. Certainly had Contador and Rodriguez pedalling in squares.

yello

Montelupone has been the scene of crime once or twice. Here's one - swipe it forward to 18:00 for all the sordid spectacle.

Blimey. That's the first time I've actually seen a pro get off and walk. Heard about it but never actually seen it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
On the other nights Vuelta, Valverde's domestique (don't recall his name) nearly stalled once he was done working for Valverde.

thom

____
On the other nights Vuelta, Valverde's domestique (don't recall his name) nearly stalled once he was done working for Valverde.
Even before they got towards the finale, 6km from the end, Saxo-Tinkoff had 3 on the front on a wide road at around 10% and when the guy pulled off he went sideways and almost came to a halt. He was pretty much spent but still had the hard part to come - not nice...

Crosstrailer

In a race, Nissan Tour of Ireland (mid-80's) had a stage finish in Cork on top of St Patrick's Hill, only about 350 metres but close to 40%, with a virtually dead turn at the foot. Extremely unpleasant, as the finishing circuit included the hill every lap, so up to 5 climbs, and over the top turn right and drag on for a good 1500 metres on a steady slope. Entertaining for the fans!

I once drove a Ford C-Max hire car up St Patricks hill once, it was a 1.4 and I was seriously beginning to doubt after half way that it was going to make it. Can't begin to imagine what it would be like on a bike !!!!!

Corky

In a race, Nissan Tour of Ireland (mid-80's) had a stage finish in Cork on top of St Patrick's Hill, only about 350 metres but close to 40%, with a virtually dead turn at the foot. Extremely unpleasant, as the finishing circuit included the hill every lap, so up to 5 climbs, and over the top turn right and drag on for a good 1500 metres on a steady slope. Entertaining for the fans!

If you peoples want to see some big climbs you should see the climbs in West Cork in Ireland there are places there like the Hindu Kush mountains you have probably heard the famous song '' As i was going over the Cork and Kerry mountains ''

Crosstrailer

If you peoples want to see some big climbs you should see the climbs in West Cork in Ireland there are places there like the Hindu Kush mountains you have probably heard the famous song '' As i was going over the Cork and Kerry mountains ''

What a fantastic part of the world it is

thom

____
There's Whisky in the bidon...

albion

Guru
I've not done too much in Ireland but more than recall the steep hill straight up from coastal Newcastle up into the Mournes.

Rail Sail is great for Irish tours.

Top Bottom