The stem is flipped!...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spasspecker

I am 5' 10" ish and ride a 58cm Trek 1.5c 2012 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/15-c-h2-2012-road-bike-ec030302 which I have had for a couple of months now (it was a bit of a toss up between the 56 and 58 but the 56 just felt a bit cramped for me). I'm really enjoying riding it apart from one thing. After I have done anywhere between 6 and 10 miles my wrists and thumbs really start to ache when riding on the hoods. I don't feel too stretched out when I first start riding but after a while I do find my body position changes as I get a bit tired and I do tend to lean on my hands more (I haven't done anything more than 12 miles so far so I am a real beginner). :sweat:
I had a little read up on this and the word stem seems to come up a lot! I have since noticed on my bike that the stem has already been flipped! (Well I assume it has as the writing is upside down and it seems to be angled slightly downwards) so my question really is - Will flipping the stem the right way up make any difference to my reach or should I try a slightly shorter stem until I become more flexible? My current stem is 105mm and I am thinking of trying a 90mm.
Cheers!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If the stem on your bike is as in that image, the stem is the "standard" way up!

I'm a bit confused...you bought a 58cm because a 56cm felt too cramped - but now you want a shorter stem..? Flipping it up will alter your drop and give you a more upright position, but it won't necessarily alter your reach. I can't help thinking you would be better off on a 56...

OP
OP
Spasspecker

Spasspecker

I'm a bit confused...you bought a 58cm because a 56cm felt too cramped - but now you want a shorter stem..? Flipping it up will alter your drop and give you a more upright position, but it won't necessarily alter your reach. I can't help thinking you would be better off on a 56...
When I tested both bikes (basically a short ride around a car park) the 58 felt better and I assume the stem was the right way up on the bike I tested.

aberal

Veteran
Leave the stem as it is. Your body just isn't used to using muscles it didn't used to use. Give it time and the discomfort will start to go assuming that you continue to ride regularly. Having said that, consistently riding in one position for long periods will result in discomfort for anyone. Teach yourself to move your hands from hoods to tops to drops as you move along. You should shift your weight on your saddle as well, for the same reasons.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Great as this will help us look at the position.

Are you long leg, short body or short leg, long body ?

Top Bottom